Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates 20,310 members

Looking for ideas for better adhesion of wafer

Posted by PonyBoy, on Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:04 pm

Okay, so I have a colostomy. Had an ileostomy, then surgeon talked me into a permanent colostomy. I've had it a couple years now. I like the two-piece bags, but I'm having trouble with my wafer staying attached. There are two things causing it two come off with bad timing...well, three, but the third one I can handle..

When I'm not sick I like to be outdoors working on cars or doing yard work, and I sweat like a stuck hog. I mean, really, I've got central air in the house and also a window unit in my room I sweat so much. But as I sweat the adhesive breaks down. The border swells up and comes lose from my skin. Then the outside will eventually come loose, and I will soil myself. Many times I have to hold a towel or take my shirt off to hold it in one place till I can get to a place to clean it up and change it. I've tried antiperspirant around it and on my chest. I've tried wrapping a towel or taping a towel just above it. I'm out of ideas, my sweat breaks it down from the inside out. From underneath the appliance. If I could stop sweating under the thing it would help, but I don't know how... Any ideas?

The other problem is when I wear pants. The waistband seems to enjoy separating my bag from my wafer. Usually only when I'm bending at the waist. Like when I'm working on something. I suppose I could wear jogging pants, but I don't like to work in them. Outside of wearing one-piece appliances, does anyone have any ideas?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, and hope anyone reading this is doing well.

Reply by Heidi92, on Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:46 pm

I like Brava elastic barrier strips. My family and I went to a theme park recently and my appliance stayed  in place with these. http://www.coloplast.us/brava-elastic-tape-1-en-us.aspx.  I hope this helps.

Reply by PonyBoy, on Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:00 pm

Thank you Heidi92!! I've requested samples, and il see if they help. Thank you again for your suggestion!

Reply by Mrs.A, on Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:39 pm

Hi PonyBoy,

Welcome to the forum. I have used the brava strips and they are nice but I really like the sure seal rings because they go completely around the whole flange. I don't know if they will help with sweating underneath the flange but maybe you could also ask for samples and give them a try because they do give you more time before the leak gets out.

http://alpglobal.com/Sure-Seal-TM-Rings.html

Reply by VeganOstomy, on Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:49 pm

If sweating is the issue, try using extended wear wafers, as they are more suited to aggresive/liquid output, and may help.

Another alternative you might want to run by your stoma nurse is to try unscented anti-perspirant on your skin before applying your wafer - I've heard this being used (through a nurse), but haven't tried it myself. 

Reply by Bosco, on Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:03 am

Your issue is very much like my own. I work outside in heat a lot, waist of jeans is right at stoma height. Brava strips have been my salvation!  I've used the sure seal rings too but I think Brava is more flexible and allows the skin to breathe. I never go without brava strips. 

Reply by Patches, on Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:03 am

I use Torbot which is waterproof. I put two coats on and one coat on my body around the stoma. Works great but a little work to get off when its time to change your bag.  I have my ileostomy for 12 years. I never had to use any type of glue all those years until I got perpheal neuropathy. I have to take pain pills which are very strong. Excess gets into the urine and melts the glue ring on the bag. Stinks...but its just another thing to cope with.   Best of luck to you. PatI use Torbot which is waterproof. I put two coats on and one coat on my body around the stoma. Works great but a little work to get off when its time to change your bag.  I have my ileostomy for 12 years. I never had to use any type of glue all those years until I got perpheal neuropathy. I have to take pain pills which are very strong. Excess gets into the urine and melts the glue ring on the bag. Stinks...but its just another thing to cope with.   Best of luck to you. Pat

Reply by Patches, on Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:06 am

Sorry this post was doubled for some reason.

Reply by Virgo, on Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:00 am

Hi

I use "colopost" paste and a belt which hooks into the "ears" on the wafer.........make sure that the wafer area is dry and free from oils......I always make sure that the wafer clip is at an angle so that my waist band on my jeans cannot "clip" it which will cause it to open and the bag to break free.

hope you get sorted

Reply by ccurtains, on Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:46 am

Try a large duoderm patch. Either the 4" square or the 6" oval. You can cut it into stris of 1-2" then place them around the outer edges of your skin which will be just under the wafer. The wafer adheres to the duoderm amazingly strong.I have an ileo, and I've been using duoderm for years.

Reply by funnygurl, on Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:50 pm

you can use an anti-perspirant to reduce sweating and i also second the advice to try sure seal rings--they rock!  Also have you test driven cymed microskin flanges?  They are flexible and developed for active ostomates.

Reply by Penguins7, on Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:36 pm

Hi Ponyboy,  You bring up a great topic as i have the same issues with mine.  I work in the yard in the heat or go golfing.  I run 5 miles (3 times a week) and workout alot.  The wafers just melt from the inside after a run/workout.  My solution in the hot months and after working out i change my wafer.  Sometimes i change it out every day.  They say this can be hard on the skin but not as hard as output eating at your skin.  Talk with your Doctor/Nurse and they may prescribe additional supplies per month.  I wear the coloplast 2 piece system.  Have you tried the coloplast extended wear wafers (10015)?  Good luck.  Penguins7

Reply by iMacG5, on Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:09 pm

Hey folks, I also do a lot of stuff in the heat and have a waistband trying to separate the wafer. I use a 2-piece convatec Durahesive, moldable wafer and an eakin seal.  Coincidently I began wearing a hernia belt I got from NU HOPE Laboratories.  They make them to fit our wafers perfectly.  I change every 7 days and have not experienced any leakage.  We need to call and they'll walk us through the ordering process.  

BTW, I don't have a hernia but I'm trying to avoid one.  When I try to hit tee shots over 300 yards I'm afraid I'll rip everything apart and the belt seems to keep things in place.  So far I only hit one ball over 300 yards and that's because it landed in a parking lot, bounced about a hundred yards, hit a light standard and kicked back in bounds.  

Good luck,

Mike

Reply by dick, on Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:33 am

okay....so i have one too......ya gotta start thinkin of irrigation,coz that will put a halt to any mishaps( being clever with your diet,of course) and carry on with your energetic lifestyle free of worry..........once you irrigate on a regular basis, (for me,every 48 hours ) and eating small meals rather than big feasts,then you will save on bags ,strong odours and general uneasiness.i still wear a flange and bag(with a bit of folded tissiu in the bag)to be sure to be sure,being irish, which stops any odour and that very important feeling of security when out and obout with the" other people ".

both last me for up to seven days but no longer due to danger of irritation/rash etc....so,during your heavy sweatin wurkin day,a large absorbant pad(soft plain,no colour,kitchen towel) with a waist band may be a lot more comfortable .....hope this may be helpfull.buddy...D

Reply by mild_mannered_super_hero, on Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:12 pm
PonyBoy wrote:

The other problem is when I wear pants. The waistband seems to enjoy separating my bag from my wafer. Usually only when I'm bending at the waist. Like when I'm working on something. I suppose I could wear jogging pants, but I don't like to work in them. Outside of wearing one-piece appliances, does anyone have any ideas?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, and hope anyone reading this is doing well.

have you tried working in bib overalls? they are pretty comfy and top it off with a sleevless t-shirt and a camo ball cap... just a thought. have you tried switching your brand of wafers?? do you use an ostomy belt?

* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.