Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates 20,168 members

Looking For Ideas For Better Adhesion Of Wafer

Go to page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Posted by kruzer, on Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:14 pm

the sweating thing is tuff. The moisture will work away the adhesion of the wafer. when I know I am going to sweat alot, I use waterproof tape to "picture frame" the wafer so the edges stay secure. I have a picture of this at:   www.theamericanostomyclub.com

the belts helps too. I have had 5 hernias. do everything you can to KEEP those from happening. Nu-Hope makes a great hernia brace that does a great job keeping everhing in place. try that too. 

also when I do a lot of bending, I turn my bag sideways for a while so it does not get in the way. Turn it back down when you are done so the waste flows away from the stoma properly. I never had a problem with the bag sideways for a short time. 

good luck, 

kruzer 

Reply by charleston guy, on Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:33 pm

Sweating a lot. Brava has the elastic barrier strips that work very well for me. I work in construction and here in South Carolina it has been pretty brutal with the heat and humidity. Before I got the samples I had to change almost every day or it seemed like I did. The strips along with the ostomy belt does a great job at keeping my flange from breaking loose. I use a single pouch system that works great for me. Try a sample of the elastic strips. Can't hurt to try, unless you have an allergic reaction to them. Won't know until you try.

Charleston guy

Reply by LadyHope, on Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:20 pm

Hi PonyBoy, I read your post and wanted to offer a few ideas.  Penguins7 mentioned the extended wafers from Coloplast.  I use them but find in the Summer months my skin reacts to the extra glue on the wafer.  It causes my skin to become itchy and blotchy.  I have tried everything to lessen the red skin and found ostomy powder and skin barrier prep does help some.  A wound care nurse suggested a regular wear wafer as the coloplast regular wear wafers are designed to absorb more moisture.  They will only last 2-3 days so I am told.  I did not try the regular wear wafer yet because now the days are cooler and less humid.  There is also a product called Cool Wafers, take a look on line.  It is similar to a cool pack designed to fit around the wafer to keep the skin cool. The person who designed it was having problems with her wafer sticking in the warmer months and design it for herself so she could attend outside Summer events.  Long story short, she manufactured the product and now sells them.  They are pretty reasonable too...less than $25.  It may be worth a try.  Another idea is a waist wrap or support underwear.  The wrap or support underwear would keep the wafer and pouch close to your skin not allowing the any waist band to rub against it.  A friend of mine wears a wrap and never leaves home with out it.  He has not had a single problem so far with his wafer or pouch and it has been several months now.  Good luck PonyBoy, hope the info is helpful....LH.  ps - did you select you MAO name from the character in the book titled The Outsiders?  The author is S.E. Hinton I believe.  I read it years ago.  I was just curious. 

Reply by Mark1070, on Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:52 pm

For sweating, I found that taping the edges of the wafer helps. Waterproof tape works best but people with sensitive skin use paper tape and then wipe over the tape with a skin sealant to make it more waterproof. 

Reply by kruzer, on Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:59 pm

yes.. that waterproof tape is great.. It is so universal... I use it when going into a hot tube for extra confidence. It has never failed me. ( when plenty of wafers were ready to fail). Like duct tape for the body!!!!  

Reply by Mark1070, on Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:25 pm

I'll bet you duct tape would work. That stuff can fix anything. smile

Reply by LadyHope, on Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:25 am

I hear duct tape is a creative way to "dress up" the pouch. It sticks great and is water-proof.  I saw a video on line about it but never gave it a try.  I did try stickers but they did not stick and fell off:(  We need new designs for these pouches to make them less medical looking.  They are really a part of our clothing per se, why can't they be a bit fancy?  Just my 2 cents....LH

Reply by funnygurl, on Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:49 pm

Duct tape does work--i havd a roll of white duct tape in my supply bag when i go out.

Reply by PonyBoy, on Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:18 am

Hey LadyHope, thank you and everyone for all the suggestions. Some I've tried, some I haven't, but will. Changing this thing 2-3 times a day some days really gets in the way....Oh yea, my name, Ponyboy, I've always been called that, because I've always driven Mustangs...but the Outsiders inspired the name a little I think!

Duct tape, thanks for the suggestion. Don't know why I haven't tried it in some way. I use duct tape to hold my charger on when I need to charge battery to my nerve stimulator....

thanks to you all! And I hope you all are doing well!

Reply by LadyHope, on Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:53 am

Hey PonyBoy, Regarding the duct tape, I don't think that I would try it because it may be too hard on the skin causing breakdown. There is something called Hytape....great stuff.  It is a light orange/pink color you can buy through medical distributors and it works miracles.  I forgot to mention it in my previous post.  If the wafer starts to lift, tape it back on and it should give you time to get to a place to make a change.  Also, for guys it is easy to carry around.  It is a roll of tape...stick in your pocket and keep going.  Take care.  Have a nice weekend.  LH

Reply by funnygurl, on Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:17 pm

I have very sensitive skin and have no problems with duct tape. 

Reply by Anoniem18, on Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:23 am

I use Strappal medical tape, not waterproof, but works great, better than duct tape, and lets you know when to change it will start to irritate - precursor to a leak.
To prevent my clothes from dislodging the flange I wear a sportsbra (XL). At times I use the Sure Seal or similar product or the coloplast half circle tape.
And since I tend to be frugal (not cheap) I re-use the flange, (hate to waste my money on waste) last anywhere from 1 day (after a hard day of physical work) to 7 days I adhere the flange with Skin_Tac or Osto Bond.

Reply by gutsygal, on Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:53 pm

Have you tried Stomadhesive powder on the skin before applying the flange? And have you tried the Coloplast Mio 2 piece pouch?...it has a locking mechanism that keeps the pouch securely fastened to the flange without worry. Good luck, you have lots of suggestions here and will figure something out! 

Reply by luv2day, on Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:05 pm

Have you looked into the Stealth belt or wraps? There are great websites for both. I think you might have success with one of them. I do! Good luck...

Reply by stevos64, on Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:21 pm

Hope you've found a cure for your problem but if not, I have had great luck with the Nu-Hope belt.  I can usually get about 5 days out of one seal.  Also, I do not use anything on the skin.  I use an adhesive remover to get the thing off but use soap and water after that.  I dry the skin and just stick the Hollister extended use base on.  I do use something I bought from Stomaplex to help the initial seal.  It us just a piece of clear tubing that they charge a fortune for but I hold it against the base for about a minute before attaching the bag and it seems to work.

Hope this helps

Go to page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.