Help needed with colostomy bag adhesion

Replies
Views
stevos64

Thanks for the information, Moonshine! Great ideas.

Ozzwood

I'm pretty new to this whole stoma thing (I've only had mine since December 14th), my surgeon suggested to me to use Mastisol. It's the sticky stuff (and waterproof) they use before they apply steri-strips. I've been a nurse for a very long time and I can attest how sticky that stuff is. I don't know if it's worth a try or not and I've seen it on Amazon, so it can be bought over the counter. My surgeon gave me a few samples to use, but I've not done so yet as my regular barrier swab works fine. I also wear a belt which helps get me about 6 days between each wafer change.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,465 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Immarsh

Hi, it's Marsha here.....I have had an ileostomy for more than 50 years, since I was 15. I'm not sure if you have a colostomy now....or still have your ileostomy. Many people who have a colostomy find irrigation to be a big help, as they have a specific time for "output". If you have an ileostomy, or a "wet" colostomy, meaning it runs all the time, then irrigation isn't an option. I use Convatec moldable wafers and find they form a collar around the stoma that helps prevent leaks. Perspiration can weaken the seal, so I use a dusting of stoma adhesive powder (also Convatec) that helps absorb liquid, and also protects skin from rashes. I also tape all the edges of the wafer (I use Scanpoor (by Bard) 2 inch), which is like another skin. I'm able to swim and shower and the tape stays on for 3-4 days. If it starts to peel off, I just replace it. I know there's also a waterproof tape, but I've never used it.

The Eakin seal works for some people...so you might want to give that a try. Best of luck to you.

Marsha

Immarsh

Hi Pony boy,

I left out one important fact for me.. I never use soap under the wafer. When I first had my surgery 50 years ago... I used soap, and found that I couldn't keep the wafer on (old-fashioned plastic). Soap leaves a residue, and many also have oils or skin softeners. When I stopped using soap under the wafer... I had better success. So I don't take my wafer off in the shower... When I changed, I use very hot water to clean the skin, and then very cold water, to close the pores. I then use a skin prep, and dust some stoma adhesive powder (to absorb moisture). I sometimes use stoma adhesive paste as well, as a barrier around the opening of the convex moldable wafer I use. I hope some of the above suggestions help.

Marsha

Past Member

PonyBoy

Your post of last September got resurrected, but I just wonder if it is mainly ileostomists posting in reply?

You said you have colostomy. So could you not irrigate? A colostomy is I think, easier to deal with than an ileostomy.

I think you should at least check out irrigation. That much can do no harm. I do not know if it will help, but am ileostomist, so not possible for me.

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Past Member

Hi there Ponyboy.

I've had an ileostomy for a long time. I used to be plagued with leaks until I found two items that work for me. I always used a two-piece and it never worked well. These days I use one piece (Hollister) and a large wafer (round and slightly bigger than the wafer with the bag) which sticks much better than the one that is paired with the one or two-piece. The trade name is "Eakin Cohesive Seal #839001". It is made of a very pliable, softer material and is soft enough to shape it to your particular stoma, into the dip around the edges. It will work for a one or two-piece system. Put the Eakin wafer on your skin first and then the appliance wafer on top. The two sort of melt or meld together as one from your body heat. I have never had a leak using this Eakin wafer. Another, even more important thing for me is "Micropore Surgical Tape". The only tape that works and causes no irritation is made by 3M. It never, ever comes off unless I take it off. It withstands the shower, soap, shampoo, seawater, and waves at the beach. The tape is very thin, like tissue paper, and allows your skin to breathe...this is important for the sweating problem. I've been working on my house, outside, wearing layers of sweatshirts and pants....very cold and wet in Ireland right now. I've had the same bag on for at least 5 days...maybe six? I lose track because these items work so well. I put strips of the tape (I use the 2-inch wide roll) on all four sides overlapping the wafer edges. With an abundance of caution, I also put a short strip across each corner, just in case. Should a leak begin...the tape will prevent the wafer from separating from your skin completely, giving you time to make your repairs without spilling all over!! Works for me!! When I get that slightly burning sensation, I change it immediately, preventing excoriation of the skin.

I'm sure you know this, but the skin has to be shaved as smooth as possible under the whole thing with no soap or shaving cream residue left.

This works like a dream for me, give it a try. All the best, sorry for the long-winded reply.

Magoo.

Past Member

Magoo again PonyBoy, I meant to add that I use "Vaseline Cocoa Butter Moisturizer" for shaving the area on my belly (my face too lol) and it also works to clean off any sticky residue left by the wafer. Like Immarsh, I never use regular soap or shaving cream, both leave too much crap on the skin. The Cocoa Butter leaves nothing behind.

Magoo.

Charley

I have had the same problems, along with a groove in my fat that runs from the area north of my stoma to my navel. I purchased a stoma guard from Ostomy Solutions. The idea was to afford protection while wearing a seat belt on road trips. I began wearing it daily while doing some carpentry work to protect my stoma from injury. I went two weeks without a leak. I now wear the guard every day and change my barrier, etc., just once a week. Finally leak-free. The Stoma Guard is a hard plastic dome with an opening at the bottom that the pouch fits through. It is the exact size of the opening in the barrier and holds it fast. The domed shape prevents pressure on the stoma and prevents 'pancaking'. I went from changing my 'stuff' 12 to 14 times a month to just once weekly. By the way, the Stoma Guard is held in place with an ordinary ostomy belt.....no paste, no strips or anything else.

Hotdog11

Hi, Pony Boy,

I have had very similar issues with adhesive problems because I have a very large peristomal hernia which makes the shape of my ostomy like a little volcano! I have also had problems with the flexible material in the flange getting soft and not adhering. I have tried several types of appliances and the results are: I must use a snap and lock set as the bags that only stick just don't seal well enough. Because of the shape of my stoma, I use flanges with flexible ring material. I personally don't feel comfortable using reusable bags as I don't feel they ever get clean enough and can only be rinsed at all under certain circumstances. Also, always use a barrier ring before putting on the flange. Be sure not to stretch them too big as that will allow leakage and yet large enough to attach to the skin around the ostomy, not the colon itself. This comes from trial and error and will soon be very easy to get it just right. As a woman, I never have to wear belted anything, only have elastic waist pants or skirts or loose-fitting dresses at the waist area, so can't help with that issue. If there is a wound care nurse at a local hospital who specializes in ostomy care, you may want to make an appointment for that. I have been several times and with each issue, they were so wonderful and helpful. Don't know what I would have done without their expertise and empathy.

Hope some of this has been helpful. Wishing you the best.

Libby

renomar

Ostomysecrets.com supplies ostomy undergarments with pouches and other ostomy supplies to help manage ileostomy bags, etc.

looking forward

I use the paste right on my skin and then put on the wafer

looking forward

Try putting the paste directly onto your body.

Bethp77

The only way I can make my wafer stay on is with spray adhesive. It does have a downside though. It holds really well, but if the wafer does come loose in one spot, it's very hard to get the rest of the wafer off. I've even had it rip skin off, but it's worth it to me. I have a urostomy, and I've had so many accidents with leaky wafers that I'm willing to do whatever it takes.

countyclare

Greetings from Lakewood, Ohio.

I just came across your profile this morning while browsing.

Are you still active on this site?

I'd like to communicate with you.

Thanks.

Mike from Lakewood, Ohio

Old Bud

3M Tegaderm tape on all four sides of the flange solved all my issues. Transparent. Good luck.