Advertisement
ConvaTec - OstoMySecrets
Advertisement
ConvaTec - EASE Strips
Meet and talk to 19,700 OstoMates.
Meet and talk to 19,700 OstoMates.

Going For A Trek To Himalayas

Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:22 pm

My friends are planning for a trek to Mount Everest Base camp and I would like to join them. Am a colostomy patient for the past 5 years. Am managing the bag quite well, learnt quite a lot of things during these past 5 years. Now the challenge is to learn how to manage cleaning / emptying the bag, where there are no toilets. What kind of clothes should I buy and wear for this trip?

Has anyone with colostomy done long treks with basic amenities? If yes, could you pl share your experience in managing the bag - how did you empty it / dispose the contents? What precautions should be taken while traveling in extreme cold conditions (for osteomyelitis patients)

Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:26 pm

Hi Sanraju,  What an exciting vacation you have planned.  I can't answer these questions for you because I have never experienced travelling with out a toilet or wash sink but you may google ostomy outdoors.  The woman who writes the blog, I believe her name is Heidi, camps and hikes all of the time.  Her trips are days out in the wilderness.  I have read some of her blogs and she offers numerous suggestions about emptying the pouch on the hike.  Take care and let us know how your trip went and any recommendations.  It really sounds wonderful.  LH

Advertisement
ConvaTec - EASE Strips
Advertisement
ConvaTec - Less Pressure More Protection
Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:54 pm

Hello sanraju.  I have no idea what you should take other than your derermination and common-sense. We need people like you to go and do and then come back to tell us - It is you that will have the experience and the expertise and no two trips are alike. My guess is that it might be easier for you to toilet than it would be for someone who has to do the 'natural' way - after all at a push you wont even have to take any clothes off!  Have a great trip and let us know how it goes. 

Best wishes Bill

Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:01 pm

Bill you are absolutely correct...we do have the advantage at times, don't we?  LH

Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:57 am

Have a fabulous trip!!!   I don't have a colostomy, but the question I'd ask you is if you irrigate.   if you do, then I imagine you need to bring all your equipment with you as well as some supplementary stuff.       I have an ileostomy for 50 years ( since I( was 15), and while I wasn't out in the wilderness ( hiking) or climbing mountains, I did go to camp, and on hikes,  and more recently  flew  around the country in a single engine plane, without a bathroom.   When I camped, and hiked....I just went behind a tree, dug a hole, and "emtied".  Changing my appliance was a little more complicated, back then ( no disposable stuff) but todays supplies just get trashed.   I've snorkeled in Australia, on the great barrier reef, and swam in the dead sea and  that made my appliance pop off.   Ok, it was a mess, but  I survived it.   Be creative, and take extra things, just in case,  like wipes, toilet paper ( needed that in china) paper towels,   extra zip lock bags,  double the amount of supplies you need....make sure you have tape.   Imagine all the things that could go wrong, so you can plan what you need.   I never travel without pain killers, as you never know when you might have a blockage.  After you do all  your planning, put the anxiety out of your mind, and just enjoy the adventure.   But be sure to come back and share y our experiences with us. 

Have fun!

Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:40 am

Hi Marsha,  I am not the one planning this exciting trip but I wanted to thank you for your positive post.  You are always so encouraging regarding Life with an ostomy.  Thank you for your suggestions.  They are very much appreciated.  Take care.  LH

Posted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:27 pm
sanraju wrote:

My friends are planning for a trek to Mount Everest Base camp and I would like to join them. Am a colostomy patient for the past 5 years. Am managing the bag quite well, learnt quite a lot of things during these past 5 years. Now the challenge is to learn how to manage cleaning / emptying the bag, where there are no toilets. What kind of clothes should I buy and wear for this trip?

Has anyone with colostomy done long treks with basic amenities? If yes, could you pl share your experience in managing the bag - how did you empty it / dispose the contents? What precautions should be taken while traveling in extreme cold conditions (for osteomyelitis patients)

Hi Sarajevo, I have traveled long plane and car trips but nothing like you are planning. I cannot wait to read your future blogs. You have been given some great tips already. So relax enjoy and have a fabulous adventure. Maybe bury a pouch in some discreet place, (an unused one) just so someone might find it sometime and say "hey those ostomates rock, they have been here" just a thought,

have fun. Sincerely, Rosiesmom

Posted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:33 pm

I have an ileostomy and I'm training to thru hike the Appalachian Trail. My only advice would be to test, test, test everything! Spend days out camping with similar gear and amenities and see what works and what doesn't. I have to shave my belly every other bag change, don't forget about those things. Practice putting appliances on without running water and such. Some appliances will have to warmed next to your body heat to become pliable. Consider placing your supplies in vacuum sealed (i use a food saver) bags in weekly quantities or such. It's humid here and I want to protect the barrier rings, wafer adhesive etc.  

Check out Rob Hill. He attempted Everest with an ostomy due to Crohns.  

Have Fun!

* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or MySpace account, or phone number. It will be removed by the Administartor.