Seeking Advice: Ileostomy Reversal After 18 Years - Nervous but Excited!

Replies
Views
Charleston man

Hi Feealicious,

I've had my perm ileostomy for five plus years now. When I had it done back in 2010, there were several questions I had asked about it. One was the J-pouch, with what my surgeon told me made me think really hard on it. I did some research on it and wasn't too impressed with it. Sure, like anything else, it has its pros and cons. I still, to this day, have my rectal stump. The surgeon left it with the possibility of getting the J-pouch if my skin couldn't accept the pouching system. I have no problem with my bag. My skin isn't sensitive to the flange or anything else that I have to use. At first, I did have some issues with it leaking and the bile from that was awful, making my skin around my stoma raw as hamburger. Thank goodness all is well now. My thoughts are if a little leak around my stoma was that bad, just the thought of all that acidic bile around my rectum. After all, it's all stomach acid. Not saying that you shouldn't do it, that is your choice. When I went back to my docs for a checkup, one of the nurses asked me why didn't I opt for the J-pouch? My response was, I'd rather see what is happening up front than not be able to see what's happening at the back. I had enough times struggling with the ulcerative colitis that caused me to have the bathroom as my second home. With my ostomy bag, I have a little more control going to the restroom. Not having to worry whether or not I will make it. I was raw enough then and I couldn't imagine going through that again. Just my two cents. It is a lot to think about for sure. But I'm sure whatever you decide will be to your best interest. Good luck on whatever you do. Charleston guy

Feealicious

Thanks Magoo and Charleston Guy for sharing.. You have given me the advice I needed.. I have decided to postpone it .. for now anyway. I cannot afford to be out of work for a long time and I may need a long time if it doesn't all go to plan, which is a huge possibility. So for now I'm going to carry on as I have for the last 18 years, and hope that one day I may meet someone who accepts my faults and all.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,451 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member

I'm happy that I could be of some little help, Feel.. I think someone once said (probably me LOL!!), "Plans are God's practical jokes on us." A week can sometimes become a month in the hospital. Being alone gets to be a pain sometimes, but it has its advantages. I never need to have my travel plans approved!! I never have to wait for the bathroom. As I said in a blog, I've perfected the "point and shoot" emptying technique while standing, so I never have to sit on a strange toilet, a real bonus!!

Best wishes, Eamon

Homie With A Stomie NS

Howdy Feealicious... I am happy you are happy but

I agree, me personally, I would be speaking to my surgeon. They are the ones that know exactly what they did in there and what's there to work with. Not saying don't consider, just saying another opinion is worth the time...

2nd....Surgery is surgery. It all takes time to recover and feel good, but there is always a chance you could be worse off than before. Nothing is guaranteed... except the surgeon gets paid, good or bad!!!

I am an ileostomy mate and, to be honest, I am normal. Just normal with a bag, hun..... We are all who we let ourselves be and who we become, and I refuse to be different (not normal) because I'm in a bag... Love me or leave me is my philosophy in life....

Many of us mates, no matter what type of surgery we have, are normal. We do everything a bagless mate does or can do, and then some. If they don't, that's a personal thing, not a medical thing... The options are endless...

Mister right is out there, just have fun looking, girl

Stay healthy, be sure, be safe

Tracy

ReddogUSA
Reply to Anonymous

That is why I'm just gonna keep my bag.... I kind of figured that out, saying I don't want to go back how things were worried about the need to find a bathroom like now, hell now I can just take my time as I check my bag, it's getting full pull of the road, unzip my Stealth Belt, pull bag out, lean forward and open bag... wipe opening clean with TP, keep on trucking, no dropping drawers

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister