Skin Around Stoma Very Sore

In this discussion
Replies
Views
pernite1

Hi, I have an ileostomy and the skin around my stoma is very sore. It looks like an ulcer had pus coming out of it a couple of days ago and had a little relief but has been getting steadily worse. I have no choice but to put my flange on top of the ulcer, which seems to make it worse. Anyone with any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,106 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

LadyHope

I am so sorry to hear about the ulcer around your stoma. Have you tried the crusting technique? This is what you do: Clean the area with clear water, no soap. I would also use an adhesive remover as well. Dry the area with a soft cloth or paper towel. Dust the area with ostomy powder. Apply a skin barrier over the ostomy powder and let it dry. You will know it is dry because the area looks crusty. Repeat the process one more time. Let everything dry and apply a brand new wafer. After the wafer is applied and secure around the stoma, I would sprinkle additional ostomy powder for moisture absorption and pop on the pouch. This technique helped me in the past. Good luck! Others may offer additional helpful suggestions too. LH

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
pernite1

Thank you very much. I've tried this method the past several times but it doesn't work for me.

Again, thanks. ;J.P.

cazza

Hi, ask the nurse for healing tape. It is sensational and really will help.

Mark1070

You may also want to try Marathon skin protectant. Not cheap but works wonders to dry the skin. If that doesn't work, you may need to cut a small hole in the wafer over the problem area, to allow the skin to breathe and heal. I had to do this once early on and it worked well. Hope this helps.

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister