Ileostomy relocalization and hernia repair: Any experiences?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
About
This topic discusses experiences and advice related to ileostomy relocalization and hernia repair.
Sierra

Has anyone had a stoma prolapse and had to have their ileostomy moved to the other side of their abdomen along with an abdominal hernia?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,093 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

kruzer

Yes. I had my stoma moved from bottom right to upper left. I had 3 surgeries to try and repair the first stoma on the bottom right. It kept failing like they do. I had a major infection in the mesh. I had to abandon the bottom right and move to upper left. Due to the infection, I lost another foot of my small intestine and 13 pounds of tissue. I had 3 abscesses that caused secondary infections post-surgery. It took one week to just clear up the infections. They patched up the old hole where the stoma had been. I have had no issues with it. But I am trying to keep away from a parastomal hernia on the new site, which will be an uphill battle.

Humpy Dumpty is finally back together for now. I hope to keep it this way for a long time.

Good luck.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Granite

I have a permanent colostomy due to cancer. I hate the placement right on my belly's left side. I had the stoma redone in the same place a year ago. Not long after that, I developed a hernia. It sticks out so far that it is very hard to hide with shirts. It was hard enough before, and now? My surgeon said that the stoma can be moved to the right side and the hernia can be repaired. I ordered a hernia belt to see if I can avoid the surgery. I'm very frustrated and do not want another surgery. Anyone else having a similar issue, I would like to hear some experiences. Tom/Granite

kruzer

Same issue. Four surgeries trying to repair parastomal and incisional hernias. It goes with the territory. I hate to say it, but it will be a lifetime of battles.

I have found being overweight does not help the situation. Be careful when coughing and sneezing. Don't lift heavy objects. Wear support belts.

Good luck.

gsamp53

Years ago, back in the 90s, I had to have mine moved from the right to the left side. It made a huge difference. No problems since doing that.

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
travel

Same here, 3 surgeries and ended in CDIFF. Sure glad I made it through, it was touch and go. Now I have an ostomy from right rerouted to left side and 5 hernia repairs. Gotta stop that, wow what a ride. Finally feel normal again. The past 5 months have been, well, I am alive.

travel

Same here, 3 surgeries and ended in CDIFF. Sure glad I made it through, it was touch and go. Now I have an ostomy from right rerouted to left side and 5 hernia repairs. Gotta stop that, wow what a ride. Finally feel normal again. The past 5 months have been, well, I am alive.

GraphX12

I had hernia surgery 1 year ago. I woke up one morning in excruciating pain, passed out 3 times and found out 8 inches of my small intestine had blown out through the hernia and had gotten kinked. The surgeon later told me the hole was big enough that he could put his fist through it. He sewed everything up (no mesh) and sent me on my way. Now, the hernia is back and bigger than before. I am afraid to have the relocation surgery. I had a very long recovery from my initial ileostomy surgery.

Sierra

I am having my ileostomy moved from the right side of the abdomen to the left, as well as hernia repair and prolapsed stoma repair. Has anyone had success with this surgery?

GraphX12

I too am wondering about this, Sierra. As stated in my previous post, I am having trouble with my parastomal hernia (had one surgery to repair it already) and am concerned that I will eventually have to have the stoma moved.

Please report back with how your surgery goes. And the best of luck to you!