Interested in meeting or talking to: Female

I am a 47-year-old Male

I am a 57-year-old Male
Meet and talk to 20,105 OstoMates

A History Lesson...

Posted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:42 pm

(Not sure if anyone has posted this before.....?)

Here's your lesson for today:

Manure: In the 16th and 17th centuries,  everything had to be transported byship and it was also before commercial fertilizer was invented, solarge shipments of manure were common.

It was shipped dry, because in dry form it weighed a lot less than whenwet, but once water (at sea) hit it, it not only became heavier, butthe  process of fermentation began again, of which a by product ismethane  gas. As the stuff was stored below decks in bundles you cansee what could (and did) happen.

Methane  began to build up below decks and the first time someone came below at night with a lantern, BOOOOM!

Several  ships were destroyed in this manner before it was determined just what was happening.   

After that, the bundles of manure were always stamped with the term 'ShipHigh In Transit' on them, which meant for the sailors to stow it highenough off the lower decks so that any water that came into the holdwould not touch this volatile cargo and start the production ofmethane.  

Thus evolved the term ' S.H.I.T ' , (Ship High In Transit) which has comedown through the centuries and is in use to this very day!  

Posted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:27 pm
A laugh a day keeps the doctor away, didn' like them apples anyway.

Gus
Posted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:29 pm
in the olden days,, not sure when but cases involving child rape that went before the court were stamped with F.U.C.K. whicn meant Forced Unlawful Carnal Knowledge. Interesting hey.

P.S. Hope the mods don't nail me for this one hehehe

Posted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:19 pm
Every time I hit that submit button I wonder how much I can get away with even though I've already censored most of the materiel I have (running short) . Have to get the family back to work. Anyway, another good one Gus. Ed
As the Ram said as he went fling over the edge of the cliff , "I didn't see that Ewe turn".

Gus
Posted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:00 pm

gutenberg wrote:
Every time I hit that submit button I wonder how much I can get away with even though I've already censored most of the materiel I have (running short) . Have to get the family back to work. Anyway, another good one Gus. Ed
As the Ram said as he went fling over the edge of the cliff , "I didn't see that Ewe turn".

U sure it was a ram and not a Kiwi farmer? hehehe G'day to any kiwi Bro's

Posted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:10 pm
Not really sure Gus, do Kiwi farmers have chin whiskers and short little (horns).
Its the chin whiskers that come to mind, hehehe

Gus
Posted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:21 pm

gutenberg wrote:
Not really sure Gus, do Kiwi farmers have chin whiskers and short little (horns).
Its the chin whiskers that come to mind, hehehe

Well mate, It's a running joke with us Aussies about New Zealanders. See theres a hell of a lot more sheep in NZ than New Zealanders or kiwis as we call em. So it's open slather on the Kiwi/sheep jokes, it's also why kiwi farmers wear wellies,, so the sheep cant run away hehehe,,Love to all the Kiwis xoxo lol

Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:04 am
Good Going

Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:51 am
Lottage Lady
Thank you for that bit of interesting history; perhaps you also know the origin of the word, bag.
Pottage Man or, ship high in transit bag!

Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:05 am

Gus wrote:
in the olden days,, not sure when but cases involving child rape that went before the court were stamped with F.U.C.K. whicn meant Forced Unlawful Carnal Knowledge. Interesting hey.

P.S. Hope the mods don't nail me for this one hehehe

Oh my Gus  (=Oh my God)    

Please be careful with them Puritans and the many irrational religious sects around us. They may want to B.U.R.N. (Before U Really Notice) your house down.   

I often see people wearing a T-shirt from the famous holiday destiny Phucket.
Knowing that this city is in Thailand, explains a lot     
The same people that go there may object at home against the public use of F-words   
That is better known as H.Y.P.O.C.R.A.C.Y.

Cheers.

Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:54 pm
And no small dose of I.G.N.O.R.A.N.C.E., they are to be avoided at all costs, unless you're in the mood to challenge them and have some fun.
* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or MySpace account, or phone number. It will be removed by the Administartor.