Advertisement
ConvaTec - Ostomy Awareness Day
Advertisement
ConvaTec - Me+ Join Today

Need to get my confidence back.

Welcome to MeetAnOstoMate
16,890 Members
Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:15 pm

I'm been having trouble with my Crohn's being active and having so mUchiha of my intestines removed. PILLS go right through me even when I break them up crush him up I'm not getting the absorption. Or the nutrition that I need. I'm trying to get back on the right track  health-related issues is extremely frustrating. I can't seem to get the doctors to work together and every morning when I wake up I open my drawers and there's 12 different medications to take.

What's hard is I don't want to have to take pain medicine all the time just a function. But it's harder and harder is more things become an issue related to try to manage neuropathy Crohn's back pain and high blood pressure. I haven't been able to work for over 4 years but I feel like I'm getting closer I just need to have three months of positive health that's manageable. And most likely I'm going to have to find a new career path since most people here in Chicago no me from working in the hospitality business for 35 years I just don't know how to explain four and a half years of absence for health reasons. I guess for I need some advice of anyone can help with getting absorption where the medicine gets into my system. And how to return to the working world after being gone for four and a half years. That's what scares me the most is that I know I have to work and put money aside. 50 plus operation since I was 19 has really put a strain on my financial situation. 

Most people tell me they don't know how I stay so positive.. I find it helping others is the best medicine for myself. I always believed living and giving is what I do Best.

If I can get some answers that can help where I can get some portion for nutritional purposes + 4 taking medications that only come in pill form. Any advice would be helpful.

These last few months I just been stuck in the apartment alone recovering from a 4 broken toes that needed surgery twice.Which put a hold on driving for Uber and Lyft.

It would be great to get well enough to work. Then I feel better about himself to start dating again.  I have look to meet other women of this site. But Chicago doesn't seem to have many women posted on this site.

I do feel that I can turn things around . The power of the mind and I always believed you get what you need when you least expect it. Sorry for writing such a long message. Just need some direction if anyone has any tips my doctors haven't thought of. Did the TPN twice so I'm not really for that option. I'm doing the best I can. I might bend but I'm not giving up.

All the best ,

Fred 

Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:41 pm

You need a really good nutritionalist to advise you.   I can relate somewhat but I don't have Chrons --- Something needs to slow down what is in the stomach ( I have only a piece of mine) and pills are going fine againi not that I break the coatd ones.  My Dr said to get the uncoated, no capsules and eat with food.  Do you eat marshmallows of fluff - it really helps.

I wish you the very best.

Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:43 pm

Hi Freddyboy

I used to have the same trouble as you. Things are not digested properly when Crohn's makes food travel too quickly along the intestine, especially if you tend to drink a lot of liquid.  Here in the UK we have some special stuff to take that thickens the output.  Why not ask you Doc over there in Chicago to prescribe something along those lines?  I don't know what the stuff we have here in the UK is called, but I can find out if you let me know you'd like to find out the actual name.  I don't need it myself because I take suckable vitamin pastilles that take about 10 minutes to dissolve in the mouth and they get absorbed so well that I now look healthier than before I had the ileostomy.  Why not try such pastilles first?  Here they are made by Bassetts and called BASSETTS SOFT AND CHEWY VITAMINS AND MINERALS.  I also take Omega 7 Sea Bucktorn Oil in capsules which melt very quickly and are EXTREMELY good for Crohn's Disease.  I have been taking them for about 5 years now and they have made a HUGE difference.  I get no pain at all nowadays and could not IMAGINE life without them.  I take 2 every morning with breakfast!   I also take COQ10 BioActive Uniquinol Ubiquinol Kanaka Q10 that keeps my blood pressure low and helps control my blood sugar. I tried Syntra 5 but they never got digested no matter what I did with them.  I think they could have been a Con.  Apart from what I have just told you, I take no other medication whatsoever.  IF YOU DECIDED TO FOLLOW MY ADVICE PLEASE TELL ME IF IT DOES YOU ANY GOOD!

Hi Freddyboy

I used to have the same trouble as you. Things are not digested properly when Crohn's makes food travel too quickly along the intestine, especially if you tend to drink a lot of liquid.  Here in the UK we have some special stuff to take that thickens the output.  Why not ask you Doc over there in Chicago to prescribe something along those lines?  I don't know what the stuff we have here in the UK is called, but I can find out if you let me know you'd like to find out the actual name.  I don't need it myself because I take suckable vitamin pastilles that take about 10 minutes to dissolve in the mouth and they get absorbed so well that I now look healthier than before I had the ileostomy.  Why not try such pastilles first?  Here they are made by Bassetts and called BASSETTS SOFT AND CHEWY VITAMINS AND MINERALS.  I also take Omega 7 Sea Bucktorn Oil in capsules which melt very quickly and are EXTREMELY good for Crohn's Disease.  I have been taking them for about 5 years now and they have made a HUGE difference.  I get no pain at all nowadays and could not IMAGINE life without them.  I take 2 every morning with breakfast!   I also take COQ10 BioActive Uniquinol Ubiquinol Kanaka Q10 that keeps my blood pressure low and helps control my blood sugar. I tried Syntra 5 but they never got digested no matter what I did with them.  I think they could have been a Con.  Apart from what I have just told you, I take no other medication whatsoever.  IF YOU DECIDED TO FOLLOW MY ADVICE PLEASE TELL ME IF IT DOES YOU ANY GOOD!

FreddyBoy wrote:

I'm been having trouble with my Crohn's being active and having so mUchiha of my intestines removed. PILLS go right through me even when I break them up crush him up I'm not getting the absorption. Or the nutrition that I need. I'm trying to get back on the right track  health-related issues is extremely frustrating. I can't seem to get the doctors to work together and every morning when I wake up I open my drawers and there's 12 different medications to take.

What's hard is I don't want to have to take pain medicine all the time just a function. But it's harder and harder is more things become an issue related to try to manage neuropathy Crohn's back pain and high blood pressure. I haven't been able to work for over 4 years but I feel like I'm getting closer I just need to have three months of positive health that's manageable. And most likely I'm going to have to find a new career path since most people here in Chicago no me from working in the hospitality business for 35 years I just don't know how to explain four and a half years of absence for health reasons. I guess for I need some advice of anyone can help with getting absorption where the medicine gets into my system. And how to return to the working world after being gone for four and a half years. That's what scares me the most is that I know I have to work and put money aside. 50 plus operation since I was 19 has really put a strain on my financial situation. 

Most people tell me they don't know how I stay so positive.. I find it helping others is the best medicine for myself. I always believed living and giving is what I do Best.

If I can get some answers that can help where I can get some portion for nutritional purposes + 4 taking medications that only come in pill form. Any advice would be helpful.

These last few months I just been stuck in the apartment alone recovering from a 4 broken toes that needed surgery twice.Which put a hold on driving for Uber and Lyft.

It would be great to get well enough to work. Then I feel better about himself to start dating again.  I have look to meet other women of this site. But Chicago doesn't seem to have many women posted on this site.

I do feel that I can turn things around . The power of the mind and I always believed you get what you need when you least expect it. Sorry for writing such a long message. Just need some direction if anyone has any tips my doctors haven't thought of. Did the TPN twice so I'm not really for that option. I'm doing the best I can. I might bend but I'm not giving up.

All the best ,

Fred 

Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:46 pm

Please see my earlier message.  I forgot to say I initially went to a nutritionist and dietician but they were of no help whatsoever because they just did NOT understand what having Crohn's Disease is like.  I don't think ANYONE knows if they have not had it themselves!

FreddyBoy wrote:

All the best ,

Fred 

Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:55 am

Hello Fred. Thanks for posting your situation for us to contemplate. Please don't think that you have ever written too much as this is the place to express yourself in whatever way that you like.

I don't have Crohn's so cannot be very helpful in that regard but I did  always had problems with medication in 'pill' form. I was busy moaning about this to one of the many, many doctors becuase I couldn't get the dosage right by taking pills and this 'one' doctor said that nearly all these medicines were also available in liquid form. -Well! I thought - why did none of the other doctors tell me that?  In my case the medication was Loperimide( Immodium) which I got prescribed in a syrup. I was then able to measure the exact amount I needed by using a syringe to suck it out of the bottle.

As Cecille has said there are lots of things that help thicken the output and many of them are prescribed for older people so I would have a look around to see what works for you. I take Metamucil for different reasons, but it does have the effect of making the output firmer, but not too firm!

I hope this helps

Stay positive!

Best wishes

Bill 

Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:00 pm

Hi Fred, I have had more than half of my small bowel removed and food moves through very quickly.The only thing that works for me is taking 30 mg of codeine which I hate half hour before meals.All the other anti diareahea meds made me feel bloated.I have always been concerned about liver toxicity but 6 GI docs said not to worry and I guess they are right because I have taken it for 30 yrs.I benefit from high quality liquid vitamins and smoothie drinks.Hope this helps.Chin to the wind,Rhonda C.

Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:19 am

Hi Fred,

Rather than post on the forum, I wrote to you personally a few weeks ago.  I'm Marsha, have an ileostomy  due to ( Ulcerative Colitis) but was married to a man who had Crohn's, and like you had a lot of small intestine removed.  We've all had experiences with med's that didn't digest...and with doctors who have varying opinions...It's very frustrating, and sometimes I find it better to trust my pharmacist....or several.    My ex ( to some extent I did to) had extreme bouts of "the runs" and then dehydration.  He/ we tried hard to find the foods that least affected him...and although it wasn't a very healthy balanced diet ( more carbs than veggies or fresh fruit)  he did very well with it...except when he experienced inflammation.  We divorced 20 + years ago, so I don't know how he fared through those years, but he passed away 2 years ago.  It's only recently that I found out that he wasn't compliant with his diet,a nd ate all kinds of foods that were not good for him.   Too much  red meat.....taxes the kidneys, and dairy has been found to be an extreme irritant to those with IBD.   My daughter in Law develope MS< which ( as a psychologist) led her to reading and studying the effects of foods on Auto immune diseases.   She and my son, ( who also has Ulcerative Colitis) and their two little boys went "vegan".  No meat, fish, and NO dairy products.   I was skeptical, but went on their diet for 3 weeks, when I visited them.   As a result, I've cut dairy out of my diet.  No more runs, and no more dehydration issues.  I can't believe it was that simple.   I also cut out red meat....so my kidney function returned to normal.  No more inflammation in my gums ( no bleeding)...which I now use as a baromoter.    The best news, is that my son is off all medication for the first time in more than 20 years.   And Angela's MS ( 2 lesions on her brain) disappeared after a few  years....with NO medication.   Miracle?   Hardly.   I just think that doctors & researchers are first learning more about the body's reaction to foods/ & the diseases or conditions they cause or irritate.    I use to think I was taking care of myself.....but I know I have a lot more to eliminate/ or test.   Start with one food at a time...and see if it makes a difference.   I use to dehydrate weekly, and little did I think it was due to that healthy yogurt, or low fat milk... Ok, so I cheat with ice cream on ocassion...but not enough to make a difference.   Good luck to you.

Marsha

Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:38 am

Hello Marsha.

I just thought I would post to say how intersesting I found your reply. Perhaps more people ought to try the 'vegan' -way.

Best wishes

Bill

Past Member
Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:43 am
FreddyBoy wrote:

Stan's  response>>i read your Story.  you are Not alone.  i have Crohn's,  an ileostomy.. No colon (large intestine), also rectum & anus removed.

having gone through Frustration & Anger.. i could 'feel'  what you were saying.   Ya grow-up thinking "doctors-have-all-the-answers" then you become disappointed.

surgeons cut things out -- beyond that  they may tell you 'what they've learned'  from patient feed-back.

nutritionist teach what the US government approves.  which is very short-sighted.

Marsha suggested 'cutting-out'  certain foods.  she is correct.

diabetes can be stopped. -as can many diseases & different kinds of cancer.  many of these can be prevented / eliminated with What You Choose to Eat !

what has benefited me> minimize or eliminate: Red meat.. Poultry & eggs.. Milk & milk products.

Eat> whole grains, beans, vegetables.

whole grains are: [i prefer] organic short-grain brown rice, steel-cut oats, corn.. there are many others.

beans: buy 'dry' beans... the kind ya have to soak a few hours.. then cook.

vegetables.. Look for green & yellow vegetables.

some fruit is ok.  / some fish is ok.

READ a New Book:  "How not to Die"  by Michael Greger, M.D.    and his website:   www.nutritionfacts.org

Pills  if they are "enertic coated" go straight-through then-out your body.  

Test:  put a pill in a glass of water.  if it does Not dissolve in 20-minutes---->then your body won't absorb it.

"the"  Fiber that works for me:  www.swansonvitamins.com  item: SW1663  which is named:   "naturally gluten-free - golden fields - Fiber II

1.. eat the 'right Foods'.

2.. exercise.  simply try walking 20 min a day/every day.    if ya don't / you'll  'AGE'  much faster.

Good Luck,  there are Lots of us... out-here, who have gone-through:  the same 'crap'  that you are.

"choose" food wisely - walk  >>> you'll be amazed after:  30days.... 3 months.. 6 months,  then "you'll-be-on-a-roll" :--)))  Happy 2016 !

Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:43 pm

Hello FreddyBoy.  No doubt you will continue to have problems absorbing your medications. I am age 63 & it still plagues me, & the doctors don't understand, which is frustrating. As you have used Uber & Lyft, please consider that like a shuttle service and a blessing. As a woman, I would consider that very cool when on a date, altho I no longer date, but sounds appealing to me. Just keep your positive attitute, and say you have some health issues so you date and operate differently than others do. Try to keep an aura or mysteriousness and someone will be curious and want more information.  Good luck to you. Joan in Denver

Past Member
Posted: Mon May 16, 2016 7:06 am

Eat first and then take the pills. Same thing happened to me.

* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or MySpace account, or phone number. It will be removed by the Administartor.