Almost Cost Me My Life

In this discussion
Replies
Views
tiger227

I also went through a traumatic experience when my bowel ruptured.

It almost cost me my life, it was touch and go for 6 days.

I came round 6 days after my op, and was horrified to find this bag stuck on my stomach.

I yelled and screamed in shock not knowing what I had woken up to.

I just wanted to rip it off.

It took 3 months for me to have the strength to walk without the aid of my carer, and another 12 months before I felt strong enough to consider a reversal.

When the time came for me to make the decision to have the reversal, I had long consultations with my surgeon, who advised me that the reversal is not always successful and that it would take quite a while for me to get back on my feet after surgery.

I decided not to go ahead with surgery and accept living with the bag for the rest of my life, which was not an easy decision.

I have never felt better since my recovery, no more passing out when going to the loo with pain.

It hasn't affected my life, I go swimming and have no hang-ups about wearing a bather.

I count my blessings that I am still alive and not pushing up the daisies.

I do get problems now and then with explosions and leakage, but that is nothing compared to the pain I suffered before my surgery.

I think the best advice I can offer is to have a positive mental attitude towards the bag as it doesn't matter where the waste expels itself from our body as long as it does.

I do not have a problem with having the surgery now, I have accepted it and got on with my life.

I hope this gives encouragement to you, and enjoy your life.

Jean

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,093 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

cagabolsa

Sometimes I think that those who won't accept it have probably not suffered as much as we did. Not accepting can be a combination of a resident level of lack of self-esteem in combination with the traumatizing experience of not being prepared for this.
What most IBD patients should bear in mind is that we are all at an elevated risk of developing malignant cancer. Especially if you help yourself with bad habits like smoking, drinking, eating junk food. A reversal may be a solution if you don't have a very active IBD and you live a healthy life. If not, there may be a time bomb ticking away inside of you.
I am so happy that everything is permanently out. And I wouldn't want to go back to being "normal" ever again, even if you would offer me millions of dollars.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
tiger227
Hi

Many thanks for your reply.

Although I found it very difficult for quite some time to accept the change to my life, I finally came to terms with it.

It is not easy, but it far outweighs the alternative of constant severe pain.

I get on with my life as normal, and it never enters my mind as being a disability, as once I recovered after a very long convalescence, I now enjoy life to the full.

Very glad you are doing the same.

Take care

Jean
Maryallison

Thanks for writing about this. At first, I was pleased to hear about reversals and my thought was I might want to do that. But consultations with two doctors have told me that the procedures in my case would be very difficult as there is a hernia, a very large one, and residual problems left from three other surgeries. To put it briefly, I don't think I have enough colon left for anything else.
I am getting really used to this friend the bag. I feel empowered because it means I was tough enough to survive when my surgeon said I was within an hour of death. I am not depressed about it; mainly, it is living with the practical matters it involves.
Every one of you is strong brave people. You may not always feel it, but you are. You are survivors!!!!!!!