Belly Bulge

Replies
Views
annofsd

I had my colostomy almost three years ago. Lately, I've noticed that my belly, particularly my lower belly, is bulging. I haven't gained any weight, so I was wondering whether the cause might be something I am eating or the fact that I take loperamide to slow down my digestion. What do you think? Is this something I should be concerned about? (I also wondered if maybe the cause is weak stomach muscles--I am 83 and not as strong as I used to be.)

Bill

Hello annofsd.

I was told by the stoma nurse that it was weak stomach muscles. The muscles get damaged when they operate and have difficult recovering  because if I was to get back to the sort of exercise I used to do I would undoubtedly get a HERNIA. ( I could have done with this advice BEFORE I got the hernia!!)

She advised that I wear a hernia belt which I have done ever since. The enlarged stomach has not gone away but as I get older I don't worry about these sorts of things.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,362 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

annofsd

Thanks, Bill, for your very helpful information. It makes sense that weak stomach muscles are causing the bulging belly. I will not worry about it anymore.

Best wishes to you.

Past Member

I had the same thing happen. Got a hernia belt and it made all the difference in the world. And if I don't wear it, I can feel the difference in my belly.

kbd

I notice when my bowel is acting up, it swells more in that area, making it bulge. It could just be that. I have pretty much worn a hernia belt from the start. I like that it supports the area and so far, no hernia.

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister