Getting on with my life with a PMA

In this discussion
Replies
Views
tiger227

I also went through a traumatic experience when my bowel ruptured.

It almost cost me my life, it was touch and go for 6 days.

I came round 6 days after my op, and was horrified to find this bag stuck on my stomach.

I yelled and screamed in shock not knowing what I had woken up to.

I just wanted to rip it off.

It took 3 months for me to have the strength to walk without the aid of my carer, and another 12 months before I felt strong enough to consider a reversal.

When the time came for me to make the decision to have the reversal, I had long consultations with my surgeon, who advised me that the reversal is not always successful and that it would take quite a while for me to get back on my feet after surgery.

I decided not to go ahead with surgery and accept living with the bag for the rest of my life, which was not an easy decision.

I have never felt better since my recovery, no more passing out when going to the loo with pain.

It hasn't affected my life, I go swimming and have no hang-ups about wearing a bather.

I count my blessings that I am still alive and not pushing up the daisies.

I do get problems now and then with explosions and leakage, but that is nothing compared to the pain I suffered before my surgery.

I think the best advice I can offer is to have a positive mental attitude towards the bag as it doesn't matter where the waste expels itself from our body as long as it does.

I do not have a problem with having the surgery now, I have accepted it and got on with my life.

I hope this gives encouragement to you, and enjoy your life.

Please talk to me, I won't bite honest.

Jean

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,090 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

gutenberg
Well Jean it seems you have a pretty good handle on life after what you went through. As tough as it is, the life saving and quality of life are what we make of it, not always an easy chore, thinking about the alternative once in a while helps us cope. Stay healthy, Ed

PS: My surgeon said the same thing to me, Baggies Forever!
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
tiger227
Hi Ed

Many thanks for your reply.

It has been the help of friends and family that has pulled me through a most traumatic time in my life.

It took quite a long time to get back on my feet, but I made it, which is the important thing.

I never think about my pouch when I am out and about. I get on with my life as if it wasn't there.

I am reminded (of course) LOL when it needs to be changed, but that is small fry compared to what we have all been through.

Take care

Jean