Gentle methods for adhesive removal

Replies
Views
iMacG5

I started this topic because of Chloemarie's comments in a different section. It's an important subject and I didn't want it to get lost.

In my own experience, I found it best to use an adhesive remover, pads or spray, with or without alcohol and gently push my skin into my body while holding the wafer or whatever in place. That method separates the adhesive stuff and the skin doesn't get stretched, which probably isn't good for it. I'm not in favor of ripping, tearing or just "getting it done". We need to be gentle with ourselves.

Thanks for the reminder, Chloemarie.

Mike

Past Member

Totally agree, Mike. I have had dialogue with Chloe Marie and she has promised to be more gentle in the future.

Whichever method you use to remove the bag, it must be gentle. So after using the remover and gently peeling away the used bag, I recommend soft wipes and plain water to clean and a thorough, but gentle, dry.

No ripping, no rushing! Easy does it. The condition of the skin is vital to adhesion, so look after it.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,465 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Nav22

Hi guys, I am new here, just want to share my experience. I am from India and till now none of the ostomy brands have launched adhesive removers. The best thing one can use and also keeps the skin healthy is using coconut oil. While removing the wafer, pour the oil on the edges. Next, just massage the skin by inserting the fingers in between the wafer and the skin. Just give it a try and let me know the difference of using the oil, rather than using the adhesive remover. If you see the ingredients in the Brava skin cleaner pads, one can see the coconut oil as one of the contents. As it heals up and makes your skin more healthy.

AlistairC

If you haven't tried this product, give it a try. It's "Sensi Care" Adhesive Remover Spray.

This is great stuff. It is a little on the spendy side so my insurance only allows me one small bottle per month. You can spray it on the outer part of your wafer and it will soak in in seconds. After the wafer is off, I spray it around the edges (on my skin), wait 10 seconds, and wipe it off with a dry cloth to remove any glue residue left behind.

This is a Convatec product, I believe.

:) Alistair.

LadyHope

Yes, I agree with Alistair. SensiCare is great and is gentle on the skin. The other adhesive remover that I used previously was not effective. Give ConvaTec a call and they may send a few samples for you to try out. Good luck. LH

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
anyark

My WOCN had told me not to worry about some adhesive left on my skin. He said it helps the wafer stay on a little better.

Erinbeth

I third the recommendation for Sensi Care. I use the wipes and they work amazingly well, and don't irritate my skin at all. I was also told leaving some adhesive is okay, but I still prefer to remove it before attaching a new bag... just feels cleaner to me. I use a one-piece pouch and the adhesive seems a little gentler than the adhesive on the wafers of 2-piece systems. I've had my ostomy since last July - still getting used to it, hope to have it reversed within the next year, but we'll see how it goes. (Mine is the result of colorectal cancer.)

vikinga

The only kind of adhesive remover that doesn't interfere with the new appliance sticking properly is a silicone-based spray or wipe. The others leave a residue that is almost greasy and very hard to totally get off afterwards. At our Ostomy Support Group meeting yesterday here in Fort Worth, our WOCN confirmed this. That's how it is for me too! I am hooked.

sooziq

Vikinga,

What brand is silicone-based? Is it sold in the USA? Thanks

Susie

chet8625

I've been using Torbot's adhesive remover (N-hexane) for about 50 years. It dissolves the adhesive nicely. I use an eyedropper and gently pull the wafer away from my skin, then use a cotton pad with the remover on it to clean the area after cleaning with water. The remover will displace the water, evaporate, and leave the skin clean and dry to apply the next wafer. Even though I stopped using Torbot products long ago, I still order the remover from them.

AlistairC

I was told the Sensi Care is silicone-based, that may be why it works well for me.

Gsunshyne

Where can you purchase the spray? Also, for anyone out there, I was using Convatec bags. I switched to Coloplast and I like them much better. I like the wafers much better. The bags are very smooth and repel better in the shower. I have an ostomy which was performed in August and is supposed to be reversed in August. Has anyone ever had a reversal? How was it? I was also told that I have to have a colonoscopy before I have it reversed. Anyone experienced this through their stoma.

Gsunshyne

AlistairC

Hi. I get my adhesive remover spray from Byrom Healthcare.

I just had a colonoscopy two weeks ago. I never felt a thing, kinda weird thinking about it though.

iMacG5

A big "YES" to Sensi-Care Releaser Spray.  Edgepark handles it.

Like AlistairC stated, the colonoscopy is not a big deal.  I think they use a pediatric sized probe.

Thanks all for the contributions.

Mike

Gsunshyne

Hi

Thank you for the info on a colonoscopy. I just can't picture this. Not sure when this is happening, probably in May. I'm nervous about the reversal which will be in August. Not sure how the recovery will be. The surgeon said I had to wait 1 year before the reversal.

Anyone out there ever have a reversal yet?

Gsunshyne

vikinga

Hi Susie, sorry to take so long to reply. Yes, I believe that Sensi-Care is silicone-based. I use the Brava silicone adhesive remover spray by Coloplast. I use it just as needed on areas that are hard to remove. Love the stuff!

Homie With A Stomie NS

Totally agree, Mike.... My method is the slow method instead of pulling the wafer. I slowly lose the skin and just hold the wafer.... No ripping, tearing, or pulling like you said. The gentle approach.... Thank you for posting this. It is important....