Advice for managing vomiting after partial gastrectomy and ileostomy

Replies
Views
Maisie London

Dear all,

I have a partial gastrectomy and an ileostomy for almost a year now. I live in the UK. Recently, I have started to throw up a lot. I don't know what is best to eat or drink. I wonder if anyone has a similar experience and, if so, could offer some advice? Thank you very much in advance for your help.

MissZoe90

I have an ileostomy. I tend to throw up a lot, and I can't give you any tips. I usually end up having an NG tube fitted in my stomach through my nose xxx

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,437 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Maisie London

Thanks Zoe, that's what I'm worried might happen to me too. Although I am not losing weight at present as I am eating high-calorie food even though I don't feel like it. I hope you are doing okay at present.

MissZoe90

I can't seem to put weight on and I'm not getting the nutrients I need. I'm on Complan and Fortisip shakes. It's all very new to me. The NG tubes are not nice but they help. x

LadyHope

Hi, just a suggestion... you may want to try smaller, more frequent meals. It is actually easier on the GI tract. Take care and hope things get better. LH

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
Past Member

I would give your stoma nurse a call and make an appointment or call your consultant's secretary to see if they can see you. It's only started recently, so it needs investigating to find out what's causing it.

liamcupra

Try protein shakes with loads of carbs. :)

MissZoe90

I'll try that. Thank you.

liamcupra

Good :D Smoothies and multivitamin tabs will do a hell of a lot too!