Clueless Newbie

In this discussion
Replies
Views
LadyElf

Hi, Mine is opec, but I made myself a ostomy bag cover, and also converted an old pair of stretch shorts to an ostomy cover with a pocket inside to cover the pouch.

Works quite well.

Eileen

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,100 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

jrryg8

Well, relax, your not alone. I had my operation in 2009 and I'm old and still kicking. My dauther helped me with my wafer and bag for the first 2 months and then I was able to do it myself. I now use the molded type of wafer and I have on leaks. That's the bigest concern of most people, what do you do when your out and you have a mess to take care of, carry an extra wafer, bag and clean underwear, and fix the problem. or sit in the house and feel sorry for your self.

How do the Britsch Say It, Keep a stiff upper lip. If you have any questions ask the doctor or ostomy nurse or ask me.

jrryg8

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Hermit

Had the same thing. Give your body time to heal. Good luck.

Earl

Hi Zoe,

I was 15 when I found myself with an ileostomy and now I am 72. I was able to return to high school, went to university found the love of my life...we have been married for 48 years. We have a daughter (son-in-law) and two grandsons. They lived in Nottingham until 2011 and now they live a mere 30 minute walk away. Yes, it ;was difficult ;surgery to overcome and because the doctors didn't want to do the surgery I came close to dying of UC before they operated. I was a jogger until a few years ago. Played racquet sports and I continue to golf. I don't believe that there isn't anything in life that I missed out on because I had an ileostomy. In 1972 my wife and I went backpacking through Europe and the UK for 2 months. A friend of mine living here in Vancouver climbed Mt. Everest and K2 with an ileostomy. Google Rob Hill and you can read about his inspirational story.

Best of luck and I hope my comments are of ;some help,

Earl

Mrs.A

Hello to Zoe and all the newbies on this thread

Hope you are all finding your way around a bit better now. If you have specific questions we can help you out. We have a chat room as well that everyone who logs on to the site is automatically showing up in the chat although we are not always there if you post in the chat we will be notified with a small number down on the right where the chatroom is located.

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister