Skin Irritation: How to Heal Stoma Sore?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
About
This topic discusses effective methods for healing stoma sore and managing skin irritation for individuals with an ostomy.
yaya

I recently did a poor job putting my wafer on. Probably in a hurry? Anyway, when I changed my wafer today, I have a quarter-sized red sore right below the bottom of my stoma. My wafer goes over the irritated skin. How am I going to get this sore to heal?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,095 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Charleston man

Hi Yaya,

I had an issue once with a sore under

my wafer. I purchased a product called

Aquacel Ag. It's by Convatec. I bought

the 3/4 inch strip tape. Then I cut it

just to the size of the sore. And my flange

still worked well, staying in place. It took a

while for it to heal. I also had to change my

pouch every other, if not every day, until it healed. And yes, I did go through a lot of pouches.

But that was the only way it healed. My sore at the time was more of a wound, and I had to

fill the wound with the Aquacel until it became

small enough to just cover it. Good luck,

Charleston Guy

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
iMacG5

Hey yaya, you need to protect that red sore from getting any discharge on it.  I think the simplest thing is to sprinkle stoma powder on it then lightly dab some Cavilon or other barrier film on it.  Let it dry then repeat with the powder and barrier film.  It's called "crusting" and it works.  You just need to be patient because it takes a little getting used to.  You might want to use 3 layers.  If the red spot is very dry, use the liquid barrier film first, then the powder.  It WILL work.  

Let us know how quickly it heals.

Mike

Past Member

Hi, Mike! About three weeks after my rectal cancer surgery and I got my stoma, I had little bumpy red sores under my barrier. My stoma nurse gave me the very same advice and the sores healed up pretty quickly. My husband was my "nurse" and did the actual sprinkling with the stoma powder and dabbing with the Cavilon, several layers, put on the new barrier, and snapped on my pouch. Haven't had any problems since then. I take very good care of my stoma - named her Rosebud because it fits her!!! Finicky old thing that she is!!! Very good sound solid advice for yaya. Sure hope her sore heals up quickly! Best wishes.

iMacG5

Thanks PB.  It's so good  when we find something that works for us.  Then it's even better when we can share it.

Sincerely,

Mike

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Hermit
Hello.