Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates 20,329 members

Airport with a colostomy

Posted by Dixie1, on Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:46 pm

Hi

I've not had any problems at airports with either the full body scanner I was worried I would but no one batted an eyelash!

Just prior to a pat down I've said I have an ostomy bag on my right side you will feel that. Some have made an effort to avoid it, ( maybe they were afriad of touching it) I always make sure it's emptied before clearing security.

I have travelled with a letter from my Doctor never had to produce it. Better safe than sorry.

I find with airport security people the more upfront and honest you are the better it goes. I've never been asked to step aside or go to a private room, if I was I would be nervous but keep in mind they are doing thier job they don't know me I dont' know them I may not be Angelina Joli but in that case when it comes to getting checked out at the airport I am one in a million! Smile

Reply by liamcupra, on Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:11 pm

Thank you to everyone Very Happy i cant wait now, just one more question has anyone had any problems abroad with a stoma?? 

Reply by harleyrider, on Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:52 pm

hi

I've never had a problem and I've flown  several times.both long(4hr+) and short flights.  Just last week on a short  hop -New York to South Carolina and back  No problems with TSA or the stotma in flight .I would suggest, that you empty or change the bag before boarding and eat lightly prior to be on the safe side

best of luck

Reply by Spice&Sugar, on Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:29 am
liamcupra wrote:

i might go my doctors and ask him to write a letter Smile will my output be much hire if im in a foreign country??

I always carry a photocopy of a certificate of permanent colostomy from my surgeon when I travel. Just in case.

Reply by freedancer, on Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:03 pm

I traveled with mine.  You can get on the Transportation site and download a certificate about your appiance that you keep in your passport.  They take you aside and check you separately and they were very respectful with me.  It was quick and painless!

Reply by ScubasteveO2202, on Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:14 am
I travel frequently and haven’t had any issues at the airport. When they tell me that I’ve been randomly selected to either a search or to stand in the round X-ray machine, I notify them then that I have a bag attached to my abdomen and I’ve never had a problem. They’ve always been very respective. Hope you don’t encounter any sort of problems.
Reply by mamatembo, on Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:27 pm

In late September I will be doing long-haul flights to Kenya, my first trip since my colostomy. From home to the airport to arriving in the national park in the bush it will be about 32 hours. Thus I know I will need to empty and rinse my bag a few times along the way. Are we allowed to bring peribottles on board the flights to rinse/spray out the bags? Are small 3" sized Lysol airsprays allowed to freshen lavatory before leaving? I know scissors are not allowed so all my wafers will be pre-cut. The thing that could complicate things is that Kenya has banned plastic bags where one can be arrested or fined so going through Customs should be interesting. Thus I had my surgeon write a letter asking that my medical supplies be exempt from this law.

Reply by LetsGoGolfing, on Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:53 pm

I travel domestically, and did experience some awkward moments going through the full body X-ray.  TSA suggests telling them before you go through that you have a medical device and get a private screening.  Takes a minute but is discrete.  Best is paying for TSA Pre Check. Just walk through the metal detector.  Soooo much easier for ostomates.  I have had an ileostomy for 25 years.   Good luck and safe travels.  

Reply by Happygirl365, on Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:53 pm
Do you ever travel to a Toronto?
Reply by Happygirl365, on Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:54 pm
Outside of the US. And what’s your experience?
Reply by intrepidgent, on Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:06 pm
I travel all over the world. I advise security that I have an ostomy (if I'm pulled for additional screening) and of course they already know as they see my supplies in my carry on luggage. I wont go through the xray and elect pat down. I tell them to not pat my stoma, and they do anyway. When they do, I let them know just how intrusive that is.
Reply by Shitbag, on Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:37 am
Hi Happygirl, I will be in Toronto Sunday April 28 dpottage at csolve dot net
* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.