Keeping Ostomy Barrier Dry During Swimming?

Replies
Views
mohouser

Does anyone know of something that actually works for swimming? When I bathe or swim, my skin barrier loosens. Does anyone know of a way to keep it dry during wet activities?

VeritasSeeker

Some folks haven't had luck with the Cymed one-piece, but I trust it 100%. I've only had my ileostomy for a little over a year, but when I swim or get in the ocean, I go to the Cymed (daily wear is the Coloplast Mio). I've put on a Cymed bag and sat in the ocean for the entire day (I also live in Florida and sweat quite a bit when active) with no problems. I get 2-3 days out of a plain Cymed with integrated hydrocolloid washer. If I put another barrier ring on with it, I'll get 5-7 days. There's a bit of technique to applying the Cymed microskin, but not hard to master.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,362 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

bigal1579

Simply try another brand. I use the Coloplast SenSura one-piece and it is totally fine for extended swimming, jacuzzi, showering. It never even remotely loosens in the water, yet it is quite easy to pull off to change. I think manufacturers sometimes tweak their adhesive formulas, so it's possible a given product might work differently at different times. They will all send free samples, so you should definitely be able to find one that stays secure.

In addition, there are great swim wraps available from ostomysecrets.com that are discreet and make doubly sure that your pouch stays totally in place.

Your pouch does not need to be dry. It can get wet and stay nicely in place if you have the right one that works for you.

Newbie Dana

Hi! I am experimenting with SureSeal rings. They are transparent, very thin film which goes over the wafer of a 2-piece appliance. It covers the wafer and extends beyond the edge of the wafer to stick to the skin and provide a completely waterproof seal. You then attach the pouch over the SureSeal. I haven't tried it at the water park yet, but that's next on my list! So far, it works great in the shower. It is also advertised as good for in the hot tub, so it apparently handles higher temperatures as well. (Don't have a hot tub, so have no first-hand experience there.)

carlos77

I swim regularly several times a week. Hollister 2-piece with ring and SureSeal. Also, wear a wrap under the swim shorts just to keep the equipment in place. No problem with leakage or water getting in the pouch. I have not noticed any effect of swimming on the frequency of changing apparatus, pretty regularly every 5-7 days year-round except for the rare nocturnal Code Brown accident. So far, knock wood, no such accident in the pool; would sure be mortified if it were to happen!

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
boatlady21

I have had my ostomy for 30 years. Until recently, I went to the pool 4 times a week. I just wore a close-fitting swimsuit. It kept everything in place. Only the micropore tape was used to lift, but everything else stayed in place.

Teddiee

Do try the Coloplast Brava strips. They are awesome!! They are half-moon one inch wide approx. which you stick down around the outer edge of a flange, one on either side, and they meet at the top and bottom to cover the whole outer flange edges. They are so sticky and do not lift at all. However, they do just "peel away" without ripping your skin off when you do come to remove your appliance. They are almost bomb-proof - and will definitely give you well enough time to get to change your appliance before a leak spreads out onto your clothing!!

Newbie Dana

I got some samples of the Brava strips. Maybe I got a bad batch or something. They were the worst product I had ever tried! They immediately swelled up and edges rolled back as soon as they got wet, and they started lifting on their own even when not wet after only a couple of hours or so. I never even finished using all the samples, but gave up after 3 times.

Teddiee

Wow Dana - that is most weird. I've been using the Coloplast BRAVA Strips for about 3 years now and have never once experienced the issues you mention. I've even used them while swimming and snorkeling for ages in the Red Sea!! You must have had a faulty batch, in my opinion. It might be worth contacting Coloplast and telling them your experience? They may have sent you some very old sample stock?? All the best, Teddiee.