Need help with left-sided colostomy appliance leakage

In this discussion
Replies
Views
LindaD52

Hi. I am new here. I have just gotten a left-sided colostomy. Previously, I had one on my right for two years. The two are very different. I am having trouble keeping my appliance on and without leaking. I have tried paste and O-rings. I would love to hear from anyone with a solution. Thank you.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,099 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

mild_mannered_super_hero

Hello and welcome to the forum. The most important step for a good seal is site preparation. The most critical step in site prep is a soap that doesn't contain oils or perfume... a very large percent do. I suggest yellow Dial, others may work, but I know Dial does. Is the skin under the flange healthy? If not, it must be healed first as nothing will stick to irritated, weepy skin. If neither of these suggestions help, I suggest you apply for samples from a different brand. All brands do not work well with all skin types. Good luck, keep us posted of your progress.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
AlistairC

You might also try a little heat. I use a hair dryer each time I change. Just heat up the wafer after you've applied it (with the pouch attached) for about 30 seconds or so. Just be real careful not to burn yourself. This makes a big difference for me. ... hope this helps.

P.S. If I'm somewhere without a heat source, I just hold my hand over it for a few minutes. This also works but takes longer.

Mark1070

Hi, Linda. I had a good friend inform me about a latex cement product called Torbot. I'd recommend that you try it. I've used it for about four months now...each time I change my appliance and I never have issues with adhesion anymore. Even sweating/water doesn't affect it.

https://www.torbot.com/ecom/product/featured/147/

And here's a good blog about adhesion tips:

https://www.torbot.com/ecom/product/featured/147/

Hope this helps!

betrdanevr

I agree with the posters above concerning keeping the site non-oily and applying heat. Having the site healed is very important, as was mentioned above.

I learned those things as I went along (with frustration after frustration) and then I had to learn a couple of other tips which I'll pass on to you:

Make sure the site is dry before applying anything. I ended up taking a shower and then lying down in bed for a few minutes just to be certain the area was dry.

THEN after I finished putting on the new appliance, I laid there still to further the adhesion. I found out that getting up and going after the blow dryer, though it's a good idea in principle, didn't work for me. Getting out of bed, bending over to plug in the dryer, yada yada, just loosened the seal!

However, my stomach is a bit on the pudgy side. I would imagine those who have flat tummies fare better with a seal.

Hope this helps. Oh! Lying down also appealed to my lazy side. Ha ha. But rushing things never worked for me.

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
walderpeee

I also have a left-sided colostomy for about 3 years now. The solution I came up with is applying the paste first around the stoma, then get the ring and form it on the barrier opening, then put the barrier on. I have had almost zero leaks, and I don't have to change it for at least 4 or 5 days!! I use the 2-piece Hollister pouch. What was the reason for moving your bag to the other side???

Bill

Hello Linda. I had lots of problems with wafers coming off which I put down to the fact that my skin was naturally oily so they didn't stick properly.

I tried barrier sprays and wipes which helped but did not resolve the problem entirely. Then I made a 'gadget' to fit over the stoma on an elasticated belt which held the wafer on long enough for it to stick properly.

It seems that everyone is different with regard to stoma issues so I would recommend experimenting until you find something that is best for you.

Best wishes

Bill

Past Member

LINDAD-

Lots of good suggestions I agree with, but also consider a new belt....NOT the thin, skinny one that's hooked to the sides of pouches and pulls them off (plus lots of other slips they cause). This is a relatively newer one...it is larger, any width you like, and doesn't hook or clip on...it fits on the face of the flange, around the Stoma opening... NU Hope makes them.... I know, I know, no one likes belts, at least the typical ones...I didn't either, but I definitely HATE leaks! This helped mine 100 percent.... I was ready to throw in my towel... (don't know what I was going to do) please consider it...totally comfortable to wear....The Vegan Ostomates did a review of it on YouTube, NuHope also has a video.... I tried everything and a friend suggested this or a stretchy tube/wrap... Always turn to the forum....best groups of "authorities" anywhere!

HH

walderpeee

How do you get the cement (torbot) off? Kinda confusing to me. Do you apply the cement to the barrier?

ByTheSea

You might want to check out Sure Seals through Google. They are a bit fussy to get on but work wonders. They are clear, waterproof, and breathable. They go on over the barrier of 2 pc gear. Nothing much gets past these; they are great on my skin. They help hold the barrier firmly down so no worries of loss of adhesion, even a blow-out would have trouble getting past these, yet they remove easily without adhesive remover. I use Hollister 2 pc with an Eakin ring and a Sure Seal.

When my skin was irritated, I used Calamine lotion (pour off 1/2 the water in it before shaking). A thin film of this, dried, does not compromise the seal/adhesion. When that wasn't enough, I got a prescription for Nystatin powder. I also used butt cream, ahhh...felt such relief but hard to get it on if skin is weepy red. I use butt paste every change now. Let it sit on for a bit, like 10 min, wipe off, wash, dry, and start the crusting routine of Cavilon and stoma powder. I get an easy week between changes now.

If it looks like the Eakin has dislodged a bit, a great tip I learned is to squirt stoma powder around the hole in the flange. I am sure I would not get as long without that tip because my stoma is a contortionist. I can't use a convex system due to a peristomal hernia.

Not to deter from this, or any, ostomy site but my foremost place to go for detailed and specific info is the ostomy discussion group at Inspire dot com. The best medical site of people living with conditions on the web!

LindaD52

Sorry for the delay. I was back in the hospital for doctor appointments, etc. I know you have been through it, so I get it. These are great tips, thank you so much. I am going to print them out and let my husband read them. I'll keep them with my supplies until it becomes routine. I love the one-piece unit, but with the way my incision is, I have to continue using a two-piece. I bought a hernia wrap with a holder for the bag, which has helped a lot with wearage.

LindaD52

Dear Walderpeee. Thank you for your response. The reason for moving was they put me back together and unfortunately, two weeks was all I had. With radiation, apparently it deteriorated the strength of my colon and anus. So another surgery. Another repair job and now a stoma on my left side. Hey, can't complain though, again a stoma saved my life. It may not be pretty. It may not have been in our plan to get cancer but I am here. Relatively healthy. Lol.

Now if I can just get my energy back, I would be one happy 53-year-old. It's been 2 months since the last surgery. I am frustrated and way past this.

Just want to say also that I am so glad this forum is here.

Mrs.A

Hi LindaD,

Welcome. Remember to be kind to yourself. You have been through a lot. I'm sure you are ready to move on, but sometimes our bodies need some extra healing time. How is your diet? Are you eating plenty of good food to fuel your body? It's working really hard to get up to speed and needs some good fuel. A lot of folks use energy drinks made at home with good fresh organic veggies, and some use protein powder added. Take some time and see what works for you. I found a food diary worked great for me.

Best wishes