Tips for Healing and Preventing Irritation Around Your Stoma

In this discussion
Replies
Views
About
This topic provides tips and advice for healing and preventing irritation around your stoma, shared by individuals with similar experiences.
lovelessdiamond

Have you ever wondered how you could heal that broken skin around your stoma and stop the irritation plus the sting that comes from changing? Well, here's my tip.

1. First, when you remove your changing, use antibacterial soap (Dial is good) to clean...

2. While your area is still soapy, take a Q-tip and go around with some of the soap still on the stoma... This helps clean the irritated skin well and without too much pain, and it removes the feces that doesn't come up with the towel.

3. Thoroughly dry with a blow dryer/air dry. Next, apply Dr. Smith cream to the irritated broken skin with a Q-tip... Don't worry, it works as a protective barrier and it heals the skin by the next change. Also, it works together with your paste.

Now just apply your colostomy however makes you comfortable.

RECAP: Q-tips... Helps with a thorough cleaning.

DR. SMITH RASH CREAM... Helps heal broken/irritated skin.

You can purchase these items from CVS, Walgreens, or any local pharmacy.

I hope this helps and saves you money. Please ask any questions you like.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,095 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member

Thank you so much for the tip and advice! I haven't had any rashes or irritation since just shortly after I got my colostomy on April 1, 2016 due to Stage 3 Rectal Cancer. Never have heard of Dr. Smith's rash cream, but am going to Walgreens probably tomorrow (Monday, 04-11-2016), so will get some of it. May have to ask the pharmacist where it is, but I will find it! Always prefer to have supplies on hand ready to use because with an ostomy, we never know when we're going to need something!!! This is wonderful advice, lovelessdiamond, and I thank you very much for passing it along!!!! Best wishes to you!!!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Bill

Hello lovelessdiamond. Thanks for the tips. It's good to hear from people who have found ways to resolve stoma issues.

When I first had mine, one of the manufacturers gave away a plastic cup-thing that you half fill with warm water and put over the stoma to slosh it around to clean it up. I've been using this for years and it gets the stoma area really clean before I start my daily routine of barier sprays etc.

Best wishes

Bill

Pooter

I live in the U.S. I use tincture of benzoin for my skin irritation and also for more wear time.

Pooter

I live in the U.S. I use tincture of benzoin for my skin irritation and also for more wear time.

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Pooter

lovelessdiamond

Ok, I'll look into that. Thanks.