Colostomy Reversal Guidance Needed

In this discussion
Replies
Views
VeganMidiMan

Had a colostomy 5 months ago due to grade 3 sigmoidocele causing complete elimination obstruction. Sigmoid was removed, but the rest of the colon remains. Resection was not done at the time due to severe malnutrition. I have had zero quality of life since then, although it is outputting fine, this pouch and maintaining it, the stoma has completely taken over everything I do, along with the near constant discomfort of wearing this pouch. I cannot live like this! Doc seems anxious and enthusiastic (almost too much so) to do a reversal. Have gotten a second opinion which agrees with that of my surgeon, for the most part. All I'm hearing is the negative possibilities, neither doc has really given me anything positive to hold on to, but perhaps they are just trying to keep my expectations in check. I want to get rid of this bag and return to a normal life, but... will that happen? I must have it done in June to allow recovery time prior to my seasonal business kicking in, so I must make a decision on this quickly in order to schedule the procedure.

What am I in for? How long in the hospital? How might my condition be during the transition? Will my life return to 'normal' as in when my digestion was working normally? I have no help at home, I live alone, will I be able to handle the recovery? I need as much guidance as you all are kind enough to provide. I am terrified of doing this, but more terrified of living another year, or even the rest of my life as I am.

I am meeting with my surgeon again tomorrow (4/19) to hopefully get more details, but I need to be sure I'm getting the right info and asking the right questions. Thank you!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,097 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

iMacG5

Hi VMM.  When the surgeon mentioned the possibility of a colostomy my reply was "That's not an option".  That was about 4-1/2 years ago.  My original surgery included a resection but spending my life in the bathroom wasn't working for me.So I have the bag now and it's been about 6 years since any sign of cancer.  I don't like all the stuff that goes into being an ostomate and I don't have any idea about the possibilities of a successful reversal for you.  I would, however, allow myself to completely heal physically before another surgery..  I would also suggest doing whatever it takes to accept where you are, think about it, talk about it with the right folks, and make the best of every day you have.  Worst case scenario would be you living to be a hundred or so being pissed every day 'cause you poop differently.

Respectfully wish you the best,

Mike

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate