Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates 20,178 members

Turmeric Powder Relieves Skin Irritation/inflammation, Burning

Posted by houstonstomaguy1952, on Wed May 11, 2016 12:38 am
I tried the tumeric powder from one of the capsules I usually swallow with my dinner, placing it directly over the raw, irritated skin around the stoma; it seemed to calm down the burning & itching; I was surprised since this is a potent spice, so the info I read was correct about it's use as an anti-inflammatory on skin, not just as an internal supplement....also beneficial since it is anti-bacterial/anti-viral....so that's also a plus when applying it to irritated skin surfaces; then I applied the usual skin protection powder over it before placing the Eakin Seal & Wafer Faceplate over the whole stoma area. as usual.   I also rubbed some over the bottom of my feet/ankle that had flea or bedbug bites, and it seemed to soothe and stop the itching immediately..this is great stuff, even if it does leave an orange tint! It'salso a good anti-oxidant for the liver, heart, blood circulation, and body as a whole when taken internally in capsule form, or added to food as a spice. (Very economically priced as well, no prescription needed, either)

Reply by Mrs.A, on Sat May 14, 2016 11:18 pm

Thanks for this information. I have been taking the capsules and recently brought some organic Tumeric in the spice form as well.  I'm searching the internet to find ways to incorporate it into some of my recipes. It's great to know that it can be used for skin irritation as well.

Reply by VeganMidiMan, on Tue May 17, 2016 1:10 pm

Thank you for this info, the itching and buring around the stoma is KILLING ME and absolutely nothing has worked since I started this adventure over 6 months ago

Reply by Past Member, on Tue May 17, 2016 1:27 pm

Interesting article. Make smoothie with turmeric every morning. Does it keep the eakin seal around the stoma from sticking? Thanks.

Reply by Past Member, on Tue May 17, 2016 1:33 pm

Have you tried Tincture of Benzoin? It soothes sore skin under your wafer and helps the wafer to stick. Stings a bit on application but works wonders...

Reply by violet-hummingbird, on Tue May 17, 2016 1:54 pm

Is it thrush? A change of fire wand addition of probiotics might help. Local antifungal cream..or a course of fluconazole orally might improve things. If it isn't thrush then it must be local irritation from contents with liquid waste or allergy to stoma products. A barrier such as cavilon spray might help. 

Reply by GraphX12, on Thu May 19, 2016 11:54 am

houstonstomaguy1952: Does the Tumeric powder reduce the wafer's ability to stick to skin?

* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.