Meet and talk to 20,116 OstoMates

Reversal Is Friday - Pretty Scared

Posted by Past Member, on Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:43 pm
  Hi, All.I decided to do it. Friday morning I am going to have a reversal. I just had the colostomy August 22 - so this is pretty soon (from what folks on here have said) but my doctor is very confident. Course he is the guy who punctured my colon during a hernia repair. Perotonitis came next - then - The Bag...

The last surgery almost did me in - literally. I admit to being really, really scared about this next one. I don't have an infection this time and my doctor's partner is going to do this one with him. I have lost 50 pounds and am strong now.  I just can't get past this fear that I am on the way "out".

Wish me luck! I should be in the hospital for 5 or 6 days and depending on how I am doing - I may have to spend some time in rehab (we live on the second floor and I have to be able to climb the stairs before I can come home again). I will log on before I go to the hospital and after I get back to let you know how it turned out.

Thanks for all the advice and kind words I have received here.

bye

Reply by lottagelady, on Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:02 am
Wishing you the very best of luck from over here in the UK, keep us posted! Rachel x

Gus
Reply by Gus, on Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:18 am

lottagelady wrote:
Wishing you the very best of luck from over here in the UK, keep us posted! Rachel x

What Rachel wrote and more,,, from Ausieville

Steve

Reply by lottagelady, on Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:33 am

Gus wrote:

lottagelady wrote:

What Rachel wrote and more,,, from Ausieville

Steve

Oy, Steve, you trying to out do me?

Reply by Maryallison, on Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:52 pm

Scarlett,  I wish you all the best for your reversal.  I pray your recovery is swift and that the procedure takes care of everything.

Reply by tiger227, on Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:44 pm
Hi
scarlett

I wish you well and a speedy recovery, it is not an wasy disision to make, as I had the option for reversal but I decided against it, aminly because of the recovery time.

It is a very brave decision and my heart goes out to you. GOOD LUCK I will be thinking of you.

Take Care

Hugs

JeanXX

Reply by eddie, on Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:37 pm
Good for you best wishes
eddie

Reply by Txgirl, on Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:57 pm
Good luck, will be praying. Smile

Reply by Mark B, on Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:16 pm
Good luck scarlett!

Reply by TexasGirl, on Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:12 am
Hi Scarlett,  I pray that all goes well for you and that you have a speedy and complete recovery!  Debi

cee
Reply by cee, on Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:51 pm
Dear Scarlett,
     I also had an iliostomy for three months.  Literally to the day.  I went in for the reversal and had been told it was nothing at all compared to having the surgery.  And this was true.  It was minor.  They tuck in the exposed part and sew it up and sew you up and bada bing you are back in your room.  The worst part of it for me was I called the nurse in the night for something for pain.  She came in and jabbed me in the rear.  She must have hit a muscle because I spent the rest of the night in agony from the hypo!.. The incision didn't hurt at all compared to the misplaced jab and of course I couldn't get anything else.

Good luck.  Try not to worry.

Reply by funnygurl, on Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:47 pm
Congrats on your reversal scarlet.  I am sure u will do fine.  No more pouches!

Reply by kktylo, on Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:09 pm
Best of luck to you and let us know how it goes.

Reply by tiger227, on Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:31 am
Hi Scarlett

It is now Monday, I do hope your op was successful and your recovery time will be as short as possible.
I decided not to have the reversal done due to the really bad time I had after a ruptured bowel.
Good luck and keep in touch.

Take Care

Jean

Reply by bamatex, on Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:31 pm
On Sept. 30 I had the first of the two surgeries necessary for the reversal of my ileostomy. I must report that I experienced considerably more post-op pain after that surgery than I did w/ my colectomy. But, on balance, there was considerably more internal cutting & stapling involved so I wasn't that surprised. I am now 2 months post-op & have gotten the go ahead for the final surgery. It is scheduled for Jan. 5, 2010. Even tho I've experienced more pain I'm over most of it now & have no regrets w/ making the decision to have the reversal. I'll report back after the final surgery if anybody's interested.
Go to page: 1, 2  Next
* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or MySpace account, or phone number. It will be removed by the Administartor.