Advantages of Going Through Airport Security with an Ostomy

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Samro

Here is the beginning of a list that I hope you will add to. I travel regularly, manage it with a minimum of stress and humor gets my through it. Mind you, my humor remains an inner monologue while going through security. Don't share it with the TSA!

Advantages of going through airport security with an Ostomy:

- Sleep is overrated. Experience a longer day since you must arrive to the airport an hour early, just in case.

- Get to buy a new pair of Ostomy scissors. It was time for a new pair anyway.

- Full body massage

- Get to explain your health history to an interested and sympathetic stranger

- See rooms in the airport that few people get to see.

- Have a newly discovered foot fungus named for you after having stood in the international terminal without shoes for an hour.

- Opportunity to practice standing calisthenics for an hour.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,101 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Bill

Hello Samro.

I'm with you in advising NOT to try to be humorous with airport security. They appear to have no sense of humour and like to punish anyone who has.

I think these are great opportunties for thinking of ways that you could use your stoma as a weapon against intrusive interference.  You may never get a chance to 'drop the bomb' but it is quite a distraction and entertaining to quietly think to yourself what an impact it could have if you did.

Best wishes

Bill 

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Past Member

Haha - I fly monthly for work and have had an ileostomy for over 25 years. The security check point had been the most stressful part of the airport experience as an ostomate. I recently got TSA Precheck, and what a relief. I'm not recommending it for everyone, but if you have to fly frequently, it's definitely worth it.

h5g

It's as good or bad as you make it. You set the mood for how TSA is going to react. I'd never over think it or make it a deal. Relax and breathe. These are people doing a job our government has laid ground rules for. I'd never shoot the messenger, as I'm in charge. Have yet to have any casualties with TSA, and I just chalked up my 37th flight w/ an appliance. But I'm also Pre-Check, IMHO, you get what you give. Understand they are protecting our great country and my freedom and liberties. Just my thoughts, I could be wrong, but nothing will be more than I make it. Life's a beach! Peace!

Past Member

yes precheck is the way to go

85 bucks worth it!!!!

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
h5g

Mine was free, and assigned to me, no application.

Snookis Mum

Because of your ostomy? Or was there another reason?

h5g

No when it was started, a portion of the general population ranked for it, as indicated on your ticket. I'm sure there's a rating system the gov't. does, and I'm sure I'm the lowest of the low security risk, so we sail through. I didn't have the choice, it was assigned to me. I do know you can apply online and if you fit the profile you can apply. It's got nothing to do with any health/physical condition or disability.

poeticodan

In the distant past I had to travel by air for engineering design reviews. My biggest worry was an equipment failure while in the air. How do you clean up a mess and install a new flange and bag in the cramped airplane restrooms? But then I discovered the best way to travel and I've been enjoying it ever since. I'm talking about Amtrak. My wife and I have been taking the train exclusively for the past ten years. We always book a private room in one of the sleeping cars and enjoy the privacy and peace of mind that comes with a room with a sink, toilet and shower. Not only is it a great way to travel, but your meals in the dining car are included with your rail fare and the meals on Amtrak are exceptional... better than most 5 star restaurants you might select in your town. And not only are the meals great, but the view out the large window at the end of your dining table is always a thrill as you ;zoom along the edge of a Pacific beach or travel through a mountain pass. Also, the service you get from Amtrak employees takes me back to the early days of flying when there used to be nice amenities that came with your flight, things like friendly chatter from the stewardess, a real meal and comfortable seating. But one thing the airplanes never offered are the reasonably comfortable beds, the sway of the passenger car and the occasional rail noise that comes with your afternoon nap or nighttime slumber. Yes, book me on a train any day and you can keep the nightmare flying has become.

Past Member

Simply emptying your pouch in the lavatory of a regional jet, let alone a typical Southwest 737 requires having advanced limbo -dancing skills. I just plan my eating in advance of flying to minimize trips to the bathroom on a flght, and always carry a backup pouch clip in case i drop it. Haha. Train travel sounds nice and glad you found a solution that works for you.