Experiences with Ileostomy Reversal Surgery?

Replies
Views
ShirleyR45

Hi, my name is Shirley. I am looking for reversal surgery experiences. I had an ileostomy surgery in March 2016 after a failed resection surgery. I am planning the reversal for August. I have Crohn's disease.

Hermit

Had colon tumor removed 2 years ago. Wore temp bag for 7 months with no problems. Friends and family thought I should have reversal. Big mistake. Almost died from scar tissue causing colon obstruction. Had surgeon put permanent bag back on. And leave colon disconnected. 2 months developed blood clots in both lungs. Hospital said I again should died. My point is, don't let other people tell you what decision to make. Most people don't have a lot of problems with reversal. I have no problem with the bag. Am still here because of it. Good luck!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,444 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Ozzwood

I have a permanent colostomy from cancer, but I also have many friends who have colostomies from their cancers.

Two of them tried to get a reversal and they both failed. One went about a year with several hospitalizations for blockages and the other only made it about 4 months.

Hermit

Yep, reversals don't always work. Lucky to have a bag.

Vicki Lee

I had a reversal in July 2016. I'm still struggling with it.  Was up at 3:30 this morning with bowel issues.  Not unusual for me.  I was told by my surgeon that I have to wait a year to decide to have a colostomy but I'm ready to do it TODAY.....which is why I found this site.  I've had it with invol, diarrhea and constipation and with radiation damage to whatever tissue is left down there, always painful.  July 5, 2017, I'll be contacting my surgeon if things don't get much better.  I consider myself a failed reversal at this point.  

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
Hermit

Same thing happened to me.

BetterThanDead

This is scary. I also have a reversal scheduled in August. I did not have a chronic disease or cancer leading to my ostomy. I had an undiagnosed bowel perforation that developed a big enough infection to kill part of my bowel.

Does this lack of other disease/treatment process make my reversal more likely to succeed? And when will I know it succeeded?