Gas

Replies
Views
Hermit

I am on blood thinners along with an ostomy bag. The thinners produce lots of gas. Is there a bag that automatically gets rid of gas? Thanks.

Irjosh

I take Gas-X sometimes, but still vent my bag several times a day.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,357 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Newbie Dana

Look for bags with the built-in filters, like the Hollister 18393. These are vented with a carbon filter to stop odors. They are not infallible, and after a while, they get overloaded and you have to vent them the old-fashioned way, but they are very good for the first several hours until that happens. It gets blocked if waste gets on it. It sounds like I'm giving a lot of negatives, but actually I wouldn't have any other kind - I'm just giving you all the caveats. There is no such thing as a perfect bag - but then, there is no such thing as a perfect body to go along with it!

Ozzwood

Like Dana, I have to empty my pouch several times a day, and mine comes with a charcoal filter as well. I like my pouches, too.

Hermit

Thanks. Going to contact Hollister and see if they will send me one to try. A side effect of blood thinners is gas. Yep, I vent several times a day. My problem is at nighttime. Have to wake up during the night to vent. Am not complaining, the bag has saved my life. Thanks for the response.

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister