Colostomy & Hernia Surgery: Recovery Time & Worth It?

Replies
Views
krushinka

Has anyone who has a colostomy along with a hernia had surgery to repair the hernia? What is the recovery time? Do you find it was worth it to do the surgery?

Thanks

Diana

Past Member

I have an ileostomy and have had two surgeries for parastomal hernias. Both hernias occurred in 2014. I had surgery in January and by May, I had another hernia, worse than the first one. I was in the hospital for the first one for 11 days because of complications and only 4 days for the second one. Each time, I had about 6 weeks of recovery time. In the second surgery, they put mesh in and I have not had any more hernias since then.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,434 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

AlistairC

For some reason, my body does not respond well at all to surgeries. I had surgery to repair a hernia, mine also with the mesh. Recovery for me was no fun at all, but in the end, I'm sure glad I did it. ... I say, do it!

Bill

Hello krushinka. It's a good question and I hope you get a lot of replies because I'd like to know the answers myself.

Best wishes

Bill

Hermit

I don't have a hernia, however my surgeon said I will get one. Was wondering what the percentage is of getting one. You can't believe Google.

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
Hermit

I don't have a hernia, however my surgeon said I will get one. Was wondering what the percentage is of getting one. You can't believe Google.

Past Member

It took me 26 years to get my first one, then I had 2 in the same year. I have a hernia belt that I wear if I'm doing anything that involves lifting.

Hermit

Thanks for the response, Terry. Did you get the hernia from lifting? Also, how wide is your belt, where did you get it, and do you sleep with it on?

letsrock

Honestable

I was warned as well with a comment "It's not if, it's when you will get a hernia" as a result I wear a Nu-Hope, 4 inch. I'm pretty active, don't want to take a chance. I wear it all the time, except when sleeping then I switch to a 1" belt. So far no problems.

Hermit

Thanks for the info. Strange that the medical field doesn't mention wearing a support belt. Will get the belt. Thanks again.

I'm so happy you posted this as I am about to go in for a parastomal hernia repair myself. I have had mine since my initial surgery back in 2011 and it has gotten worse over the years. In the past year, I have taken to wearing two abdominal binders because of how much it protrudes.

Hermit

Hi Newbie, do you mind me asking how you got the hernia? From lifting? Good luck with surgery.

I think the physical therapist actually was responsible for it. However, my case is particularly delicate because I don't have lower abdominals. Hence, with a weak core, any kind of activity where my core muscles are strained will cause it to protrude even more.

Hermit

Thanks for the response.

weewee

Hi all,

I just had another hernia repair and yes, from lifting way too much. Sometimes it's not the weight but doing a lot of lifting all the time. It's also how you are picking things up. Plus, if you don't use a buddy when you should, that's what gets you. I was told if I don't quit lifting objects, I can have more at my new site. So, I have a 10 lb limited restriction. Lol, what fun! But I will do my best to follow it since it took a long time to get the first one fixed.