Need help gaining weight with an ileostomy/stoma?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
About
This topic discusses tips and advice for gaining weight while living with an ileostomy or stoma.
rossitis22

Hello;

Thank you for clicking on my topic.

I am looking for a diet/recipe or any handy tips that people who have used or discovered when being underweight and have an ileostomy/stoma.

I am 6ft something since the last time I remember and 9st (126lbs).

Can't wait to hear from you.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,093 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

kbd

Years ago, I gained weight drinking Boost shakes. They have lots of protein for healing, 240 calories per shake.

https://www.boost.com/products/original

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
xnine

Cakes, pies, and ice cream with toppings. If that does not work, just eat more. That is more times a day, not bigger meals.

Mrs.A

I think I had a root beer float every day, sometimes two. I also enjoyed Ensure after my meals.

https://ensure.com/

Past Member

After my surgery, when I was extremely underweight as the large bowel tumor had been taking all the nourishment from the small amounts of food, I was only able to eat while I was unwell. Once able to eat again, I was told to build myself up with Complan twice a day. In between the three high-carb meals a day, I was told to have sugary, fatty snacks, e.g. crisps, chocolate, cake, full-fat milk, and cream cheese, until I gained the necessary weight. It took 5 months to reach my target weight. Then, I gradually started eliminating all those unhealthy foods to avoid becoming overweight.

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Past Member

A very healthy food, high in good fats and calories, is avocado. Add slices to a sandwich, blend one into a smoothie, or make guacamole.

WAB
Avocado and strawberry salad....amazing.....

Ingredients:

1/3 cup (80 mL) balsamic vinegar
1 cup (135 g) hulled and sliced strawberries
1 cup (160 g) grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
1 medium ripe avocado, pitted and diced
1/3 cup (8 g) loosely packed basil leaves, chiffonade; cut
1 1/2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
Pink Himalayan salt or fine sea salt, to taste
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Toasted sesame seeds or chopped pecans, for serving

Directions:

In a small saucepan, bring the vinegar to a simmer over medium heat. Once the vinegar starts to simmer, reduce the heat to medium-low, and simmer for 6 to 10 minutes, uncovered, until the vinegar thickens and reduces in volume by half. Set aside.
Meanwhile, add the strawberries, tomatoes, avocado, and basil into a large shallow bowl.
Drizzle on the oil and gently toss until the veggies are coated. Season generously with salt and pepper and toss again just briefly.
Scatter on your desired amount of toasted seeds or nuts. Drizzle on all of the balsamic reduction.
Serve immediately.
U K Mutt

I once had an ileostomy and needed to gain weight as well. Now I'm not happy about using sugar as a weigh gainer, but it did help in the form of ice cream mixed with a nut butter. This blended deliciousness added up to over 500 calories in one serving. My body didn't react well to that much peanut butter, but once I switched to another type of nut butter, all was good again. Good luck and if you can stay off the sugar, avocados are a great way to go. Plus, they digest well.

xnine
Avocado and strawberry salad....amazing.....
We tried it. It is really good.
Past Member

I suggest you start referring to the food guide. It will really help you a lot.

kelly.marie.messick

I'm also 6ft something, your weight was my target weight. I added heavy whipping cream (high cal) to everything (coffees, mac and cheese, shakes, cereal...), I added Ghee butter (high cal) to the toast I had with every meal. There is a weight gainer called "Serious Mass" (Walmart) calorie count is astronomical. My stomach didn't like it but it was a 1300 calorie shake. I ended up switching to a high protein (pea) through "nuts.com" and that was much better on my stomach. I also found a really good digestive enzyme. Food goes through my body so fast that I don't absorb a good portion of nutrients. The enzymes break down the nutrients making it easier for me to absorb. So with all of these things I gained about 15lbs in about 2 months. I kept my activity level very low. Heavy whipping cream replacing milk, 2 pieces of toast with every meal smothered with ghee, a good amount of protein (because of your body type, we need lots of protein), and a good digestive enzyme. Hope this helps.