Looking for Waistband Recommendations for Ileostomy Bag - Any Suggestions?

Replies
Views
Past Member

Hello everyone,

I've had an ileostomy for just over 2 years now, and though I've been on here for that time, I've mostly tried to go it on my own to keep my life as normal as possible and not about that "thing" down there. :)

Anyhow, I've realized the folly and have been thinking of starting to post on this, so here I am. Looking forward to learning and chatting with others on here.

I've got a question I'm hoping someone may have some input on regarding waist bands. I wear my bag for my ileostomy horizontally--a strong preference... I can't imagine letting it hang down and being partially in my pants and partially above. Like many others, I suspect, I'm conscious of my stoma and bag protruding when wearing work shirts, and have until now been getting by on my wife's old pregnancy waist band and a homemade stealth belt.

I see this Comfizz brand, and am wondering if anyone has feedback on the waistbands. Also curious if there is something closer to home, in N. America, that might be similar. Interested in synthetic and cotton products, and hoping to get something that won't raise my core temp. too much, as I sweat like a... well...

Thanks for any suggestions.

J

Immarsh

Hi Jeremee "all",

Although I was married to a man who also had an ileostomy, we had different styles and needs regarding how to wear the pouch. I have had my ostomy for more than 50 years and have always worn a stretch panty, which supported my scarred up/flabby belly and held the pouch close to my body. I folded it "under" so the clip (back then it was a rubber band) is next to my skin. It reduces the content area of the pouch, so I need to empty more often or let out the air (through the spout/clip).

My ex always wore a belt and wore white cotton briefs, but with the legs. I don't know how he tolerated that bag flopping around.

It might be helpful for men to wear a stretchy men's brief... if there is such a thing.

About affiliation with a group. Although I didn't want to go, my parents dragged me (kicking and screaming) to an Ostomy group when I was 15. I quickly made friends with other ostomates in the Metropolitan, NY area, and we supported each other, did a lot of great things together. But nearly 10 years later, when I married and had my first child and moved to NJ, I found I wanted anonymity.

It felt good at the time, but when I discovered this site about 4 years ago, I realized how much I was missing by not being in touch with others, getting support, and offering the same in return. There's always new questions to ask and answer... and new supplies to discuss. I paid for a lifetime membership because I'll have this ostomy for the rest of my life.

Best regards, Marsha

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,358 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Bill

Hello jeremee80. I don't have a bag because I have a colostomy and irrigate. However, I do wear a waistband which tends to protrude more than the bags used to when I was wearing them. I have found that multicoloured work shirts tend to make it show less than plain ones. I'm not talking Hawian-style multicolour but just a mixture of blues and whites.  Te other shirts I wear are summer ones that simply hang loose over the waistband.  Interestingly, I decided to change my job when I retired and started working in jobs where it was perfectly acceptable to wear boiler suits. Very few people have ever questioned me about this choice of clothing. However, when one manager hinted that by wearing this clothing I was implying that my 'clients' were dirty enough to warrant a boiler suit I simply told her that I had a stoma and wearing trousers was very uncomfortable. She was very apologetic for making the comment and has not mentioned it since. Unlike my wife, who insists that I wear proper trousers when we go out together. I keep telling her that nobody is bothered about what I wear and I have some brand new b-suits that should be perfectly acceptable. ( Not to her!!) I sometimes feel like her barbie doll when she wants to dress me up in alien clothes just so that she can show me off in public.  Anyhow, we've been married long enough now for me to know that it's often easier to do as I'm told than to establish my own independence on such trivial matters. After all,  she is not an ostomate so on this particular issue she is as ignorant of the very personal affects of the condition as anyone else.  She wants me back as I was before the stoma wearing suits and looking smart rather than being comfortable. The other week she asked me why I wasn't pressing for a reversal. I tried to explain that a reversal would put me back to where I was when I needed a stoma so there was really no point in going down that route.  It's taking a longer time for her to adjust to the fact that I'm stuck with this for the rest of my life, than it is for me. 

Best wishes

Bill   

xnine

I wear a bandeau (tube top) I found at The Bay. It is under $20.00. An X-large fits me (5ft 5 and 155 lbs). My supplier showed me a belt with a sideways pocket for the pouch, but I did not ask the price since I thought what I was using suited me fine.

NJ Bain

J,

Also see my post about Ostomysecrets. You may find something that will work for you there.

Bain

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
Mrs.A

For me, my colostomy is always partially above my waistline in the pants I have to wear for work. When I wear a band of sorts, my stoma will retract then evacuate, and everything ends up under the flange. This is not a good idea, and I always have to change everything.

I've made my own pouch pocket that I attach to my undergarments. There is a company that makes them as well. Here is a link if you would like to check it out.

http://ostomypockets.com/

Past Member

Early in my colostomy days, my husband found a website for a product called Stealth Belt. I ordered a couple in two colors. Loved them! I felt like they changed my life, and I shared the info with my ostomy nurses.

Unfortunately, I've had a hernia in my colostomy that has since gotten bigger. Now I feel more comfortable in a Spanx-like number that really holds it all in, but I realize that's out for guys (I guess?).

So my recommendation is the Stealth Belt. Good luck!

LadyHope

Just my two cents, I wear support boy shorts underwear. It helps smooth things out a bit. I purchase them at Walmart for less than $4.00. I have tried the tube top around my waist and that was fine as well but it added extra bulk to the outfit. For men, I may try short-style briefs because you can tuck everything in. Walmart may have something in stock. Thanks...have a nice day. LH

Hanaleah

Hi: I like it better if the pouch hangs down. I can fold it up if I want. I wear one-piece appliance. I have tried maternity waistbands and they work really well for me. My stoma is at the belt line because I am small and there was no other place to put it. I don't understand how to wear boys' underpants; it sounds difficult since I don't have the right parts. But will I try my husband's underwear. It is worth it. The stealth belts are expensive. I have tried products recommended by the Vegan Ostomy and found a lot of them don't work for me. When I fold up the appliance, the output stays, and when I unfold it, I have to empty it a few times.

I hope this helps.

Pray for Peace, Hana

LadyHope

Hi everyone, the reason I did not like the stealth belt, although a very attractive piece of clothing, is that I did not feel comfortable placing my pouch horizontally. I felt the placement eroded the wafer more quickly and I did not want to spring a leak. I continue to use support boyshorts that I purchase from Walmart and they work well. Take care. Have a nice day. LH