Replies
Views
iMacG5

Often, on profiles, folks limit the age range of those they wish to communicate with.  For general conversation this might be a great idea.  What would an old guy like me have in common with a 20 something relative to hair styles or color of eye shadow?  When it comes to ostomies though and all the stuff we encounter before and after I think there might be things to learn from people of all ages.  I hope no one might think, “I could’ve offered some help for this kid but she or he didn’t want to communicate with anyone over 45”.  That’s years of age, not inches. 

Just thinkin’.  Ya know?

Mike

Bill

Hello Mike. Good post! This sort of thing often crosses my mind when I look at the profiles. 

I have always been involved with helping young people and feel that their preferences for talking to people of their own age are perfectly understandable.

However, so often people's preferences are based on what they would like to happen rather than what happens in the real world. Sometimes,the people that we would like to talk to most are either not available or they don't want to listen. It is then that well chosen words from someone else can open up their minds to other alternatives.  Sometimes us oldies can just try to be friendly and share what we know despite the so-called generation gap.

I have found that 'very' brief, pertinent contributions at the right time have the effect of catching their attention without them thinking that I wish to continue into a longer conversation which might be embarassing for them. After a few such brief interventions, invariably young people will gradually be attracted to what we have to say and deliberately make verbal or non-verbal contact so that we will pay them some attention. Basically, it's more about 'listening' to them than it is about speaking to them. Brief, pertinent comments indicate that they have been listened to and that someone is interested enough in what they say and to respond, more or less on their terms.    I really do not believe that there is a generation gap that cannot be bridged by way of kindness, understanding and perseverance. Many young people lack the knowledge and experience that can come with the aging process. They might think that the intense experiences they are having as young people cannot be understood by those who are not experiencing the same thing, at the same time.  It hardly occurs to them that having grown to a ripe old age, that we too have been through similar experiences and come out of them with slightly different perpectives. It would be unusual if this type of narrow thinking process  was not applied to most aspects of their lives. Having a stoma is therefore no exception. How can we oldies possibly understand what young people are going through during this very difficult period in their lives?

I'm all in favour of making sure the emotional and psychological support is on offer to young people for those occasions where they cannot find it in the places that they are so intently looking. Being 'there' for people does not necessarily mean that we need to interfere, or even comunicate verbally. It means that we need to be able to let them know that we are there for them if, and only if, they think we can help. My own experience has shown that slipping in some written rhyming verse that summarises their angst, has a significant affect on thier willingness to accept 'outside ' communication. some appropriate rhyming verse can bridge the generation gap because, in terms of the emotional content of such rhymes, there is no generation gap.

Human beings have a tendency to 'feel' similar emotions no matter what age they are.

Best wishes

Bill

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,370 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Mrs.A

Well said Bill!

I especially agree with the emotional aspect. Just because you are not someone's age doesn't mean you can not or have not felt the same at one point in our own lives.

Mike,

I also agree with your statement, "When it comes to ostomies though and all the stuff we encounter before and after I think there might be things to learn from people of all ages".

LadyHope

I agree as well with you. I may not have much in commom with someone 20 something or 80 something but I do know something about caring for a ostomy and living life to the fullest with my ostomy. Maybe the age range is for those looking for a closer relationship not just friendships. Maybe? ;Just a thought. Take care. LH

iMacG5

Thanks Bill, Mrs.A and LH.  You folks have offered so much help to so many of us, we're all blessed.  Once we understand there are those like you, youngsters might solicit your help even more because of your wisdom, regardless of the ages.

With gratitude and respect,

Mike

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Bettyjoe

One never knows where the hepl will come from. I work with folks that I have, on most days have nothing in common with. Yet, we have more in common then not. Its that profound. They help me on a daily basis. If this site did't have room for the "age" group, then what. I am sure that all expeirnces will concur, on the "experience", that is how I view it. thanks

Mrs.A

iMacG5,

Mike, you have bee an awesome help to may as well . Keep up the great work