Leakage Solved for an Innie Stoma, Post-Sigmoid Colostomy

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Emra

After finally finding a flange that worked (convex) - I was still having leakage problems. My nurse started using paste (I call it caulk) - she placed it around the stoma, flattening it out before she applied the flange. That leaked as well so my retired engineer husband came up with an idea that has worked and no leaks in over one month!

We put a line of caulk around the stoma; then place an identical line of caulk on the flange - we do not flatten it out - it looks like toothpaste. After letting it set up for one minute, we place the flange on the stoma, pressing down the two donuts of caulk....hold it down for a minute or so and VOILA. I have not had any leaks.

If necessary, we will smooth out the caulk if it squishes out towards the stoma....sort of making a "ramp".

I hope this helps for some of you out there. Emotionally this helped me tremendously - I am no longer fearful of leaks - I am mindful that they can occur but the fear is down considerably. And my skin has cleared up....the powder and second skin are incredible.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,101 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Mrs.A

So glad this method works for you. I'm sure others will also benefit from the details you have given .

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Bill

Hello Emra. That sounds like a great mechanical solution to what is essentially a typical engineering problem. It's interesting how these relatively simple solutions can have such a positive affect on the psychological and emotional aspects as well.

Best wishes

Bill