Exercising post-surgery: Tips for sensitivity?

Replies
Views
medic361

Weight control and weight loss is primarily a diet issue. A good walking regimen and some light weight lifting (with doctor approval) helps. I would attempt to remove all processed foods from your diet. You want to get your calories from equal amounts of proteins, fats, and carbohydrates. Good lean meats combined with fruits and vegetables will make this easy. I only eat fruits in the morning so that the sugars aren't stored. I usually workout right after breakfast. Lunch is my biggest meal and then dinner is eaten late afternoon or early evening. I don't really count calories either, it's more about what kind of calories versus how many. Also watch out for the hidden calories. Soft drinks are really bad and diet drinks are also as they confuse the body and can cause issues of their own. Get a Fitbit or other movement tracking device and slowly increase your activity level. Never increase more than 20 per week. Good luck, stay positive, and strong. I am 2.5 years post colostomy and still work as a firefighter doing the same job I did before my surgery.

U K Mutt

Hi, so I use Pure Organic Aloe Vera Gel. Once the area around my stoma has been washed and dried with a hair dryer, I apply a super thin layer the circumference of my bag's wafer. Then I hair dryer dry the area. Then I apply the barrier spray and powder.

At my community center, we have a gym and a trainer who caters to rehab and seniors for $36/hr. Which is very reasonable and worth every penny. I do wear a support belt around my waist to

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,463 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

U K Mutt

Part Two:

...to support my stoma as I don't want to herniate it.

Good luck and keep up the walking!

becrhomat

Thanks!!!

pete b

Get yourself a cross trainer... great for most of your muscles without shocking your joints...

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
becrhomat

There is a YWCA in the next town I'm looking into. Unfortunately, my town is only 600 people, lol, so I have to go elsewhere, lol.

Past Member

In many cases, your surgeon may want you to start doing gentle stretching exercises, such as shoulder rolls or arm circles 2 or 3 days after surgery. Until you have your surgeon's OK, don't do any strenuous exercise such as high-impact aerobics, jogging, swimming, or lifting weights.