You just gotta dance. ¬†There is a movie from the 70s during the disco craze starring Donna Summer called Thank God It's Friday. ¬†It has one of my favorite lines - "Dancing, everything else is bullshit". ¬†Watch it and you'll have no choice - your body will start dancing.
Do yourself a favor and just do it. ¬†You'll have a blast. ¬†Here are a couple of hints:
1. There are tons of wonderful people who won't care about your bag. ¬†There are also some who might be put off. ¬†Don't worry about them - just be yourself and you'll find the right friends.
2. ¬†Don't let it define you. ¬†You don't need to have it be the first thing someone knows about you, it can certainly be more of a "by the way" thing after you know someone better. ¬†People on the dance floor aren't going to notice or care. ¬†People are mostly worried about whether they look stupid dancing.
3. There are many wraps that can keep it discreet - try ostomysecrets.com. ¬†With a wrap you can be hugged, squeezed, dipped and promenade the hall. ¬†There is no move where someone will ever know.
4. It's usually air that causes it to balloon quickly, and if you have a new bag with an unclogged filter, the air will dispense on its own. ¬†Put a new one on when you go.
5. I find that physical activity slows down or even stops the output, so if you are dancing, it might not be an issue.
6. If you do have output, proactively empty. ¬†This is actually easy for a female, since you are already in a stall. ¬†If you are worried about odor, drop some mints (Tic Tac or Altoids or Mentos) in the pouch.
7. Since most people have no idea what it is, I think Rob's comments are right on - people can be curious. ¬†The biggest thing is your own attitude. ¬†It is certainly nothing to be shameful about. ¬†In fact, everyone has something that makes them different - some people are bald, some wear braces. ¬†I think the thing that throws us is the poop aspect, which can seem kind of nasty. ¬†So if you just think of it as a medical appliance, and no one else ever really needs to be exposed to the unsavory aspect of poop, it's really not such a big deal.
So please, please, please go dancing as soon as you can and report back to us. ¬†I think you will absolutely love it.