Desperate for help with gas and odor!

Replies
Views
myron

I'm tired of gas build-up. I'm tired of the smell. I can't eat anything or drink anything without gas build-up in public places. I can't find anything to solve this problem. I'm looking for support. Can anyone help?

Past Member

I had this a few months ago, Dr had me take anti-gas tabs. I did this for a week and it helped me. I can't eat any veggies and limited fruits or the gas comes back for me personally. There are many well-versed and educated people here that may have great ideas. Good luck.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,358 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

myron

Thank you so much, CANN

mild_mannered_super_hero

Myron, what type of ostomy do you have? If it's a colostomy, why was it performed? Has irrigation ever been suggested to you? Any problem can be overcome, just give things time.

xnine

For me, it is plugged filters. I use some tape to create a dam to keep the filter clear. It usually gives me several hours without gas build-up.

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Emra

I use the pouches with a filter...no more issues of gas buildup in the pouch and no odor is apparent when it degasses.

Bill

Hello Myron.

I was not sure if the question related to gas build up in the bag or in the gut. Obviously it would make a difference to the advice to be given.

I'm with MMSH in his question as well. It is helpful if we have a little more detail so that the answers can match the problem.

Best wishes

Bill

DavidinVancouver

Hey Myron -

I have had gas issues too - not an ostomy yet, but if you can't hold it in, it's still embarrassing.

I have been very conscious of my diet over the past few years and watching what goes in, then seeing what comes out.

Beer, soda, sugar - for me, are guaranteed gas generators. A great excuse to be healthy. Anti-gas pills for me are a bonus, not something to depend on, as they will disappoint you. Overeating is a problem too. I have had way more success watching food intake than with any pill/anti-gas/antacid/etc.

Xerxes

Are you a recent ostomate? Most often in the beginning, gas is a major problem. It takes a while to normalize. In the end, as others have already indicated, it comes down to what and how much food and drink you've taken in. I read on here a while ago someone suggested eating marshmallows as a remedy. I have never tried this, however. Hang in there.

NotDeadYet

Hi, Myron!

Like Xerxes, I found that it took a while before the volume of gas settled down. By about 6 months after my colostomy, my diet had slowly changed to mini meals only, and this had the best result. Also, I find that when my flow is slow, I get more gas, so a quarter cup of prune juice can "nip it in the bud."

For the first year, I found that gas would seep out of the sides of my seal (despite my bag's little gas filter--Hollister 8081). Once I started using a new bag every single day, this problem stopped.

My family gave me my own bathroom, and hubby installed a REALLY SUPER POWER FAN.

Good luck!

Hermit

I tried the bag. The vent stopped up after one day.

NotDeadYet

I found that the Hollister 8081 filter worked until it got wet. But as I change bags every day, the "not wet yet" is most of my day. But really, I actually see a difference at night. I wake up a little, think, "Oh darn I'm going to have to get up in a minute before the pressure bursts." and then fall back asleep, and wake up as "Oh my goodness do these filters actually work? Because my bag isn't full of gas anymore."

kbd

Might ask your doctor about Levbid. I take it as needed for cramps related to Crohn's. The side effect of taking it is almost no gas issues now. I also use a Hollister bag with a filter, usually good for 2-3 days without plugging up.

myron

Does the gas come out smelly? I never used a gas filter

kbd

Ask Hollister or wherever you get your bags to give you some filter-bag samples to try out. They seem to work pretty well until they clog up. Looks like a charcoal filter strip is used in them. I've tried bags without filters and got tired very quickly of 'burping' them.

Mrs.A

I don't know what is worse, a bag full of gas or one that has a vacuum.

Past Member

I take Gas-X twice daily and watch what I eat. So far, so good. Only 1 gas incident and it was at home.