First-Time Colostomy Experience: Prune Juice Fix for Constipation

Replies
Views
Emra

Hi all...I have a 3-month-old colostomy....while I was showering, I noticed that my stoma looked "puffy" .... and then a pretty much empty pouch. Not wanting this to get to the point of a blockage, for the first time in my life, I did the prune juice fix and it worked....very, very, very, very, very, did I mention very?, well. I mixed one-half cup of prune juice with one-half cup of warm water. Things started to errr....."relax" by late in the day and then today....it worked and worked and worked and worked.

Just wanted to share for any of you who might have issues. Again, I have a low colostomy and the stool is usually at an almost normal consistency.

I think the stoppage happened for several reasons...I have not been taking in sufficient vegetables, I was not taking in sufficient fluids, and I took a pain pill twice for some nasty arthritic hip and back pain. I am still experimenting with what vegetables I can tolerate...the only green I can do well with are French-cut green beans, also mushrooms, carrots (my number one favorite), skinless baked potato, skinless sweet potato, and this week I had a WONDERFUL GARDEN TOMATO! Fruits I am doing better with as long as there is no skin...I am now monitoring my fluids - taking in a minimum of 2 liters per day.

I hope what I have shared might help others. You have all been so supportive of me....I came here at my lowest, it was a place I will never return to....and the kindness and concern you folks gave to me...well now it's my turn to help!

Bill

Hello Emra. Thanks for your interesting post. I too have a colostomyand have always had hardening of the stools which I put down to the way my gut works rather than what I eat. I have experimented with all sorts of food and drink and nothing much made a difference. I happen to like prunes but they don't have that effect on my stools either.

Then I began irrigating daily and it cleared out almost everything from the lower bowel every day. Sometimes there is a very small residue left that goes really hard overnight but, because the is so little in quantity, it doesn't pose a problem and comes out easily the next time I irrigate.

We all seem to be different in what works and what doesn't so it is reaaly helpful when people post their experiences on here so that others can understand that they are not alone in what they ahve to cope with.

Best wishes

Bill 

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,370 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

DavidinVancouver

Hi Bill Emra:

I'm looking at getting a "low" colostomy as well (haven't scheduled the surgery yet) - I have been assuming that the output consistency will be very similar to what I have now as I don't need anything internal removed. Maybe just leave a stub just in case we want to reverse in the next few years.

I irrigate now, and digital removal (spinal cord injury) - 2x daily / sometimes 3x if it's loose to minimize accidents. Is this similar to what you can do with the ostomy? Do you find that with a consistent diet and irrigating schedule you can actually go with a stoma cover at times instead of the bag? Or is that too optimistic?

Thanks-

David

Bill

Hello David. Thanks for your post. 

With irrigation of the stoma, you should be able to use a cover instead of a bag. I use a plug but that is because it helps with keeping the hernia under control rather than stopping output. I have found it almost impossible to digitally remove waste but then again there really is no need to use this technique if you are irrigating. If there is any residue left after irrigation,  you can always do the procedure again and this gets rid of residual waste. However, I found that the amount that is left is so small and is usually liquid, that it is not necessary to fuss about it so it gets left until my next round of irrigation, by which time it has become small and hard, which is easy to flush out before I start with the main flush.   

You won't be able to irrigate until at least six weeks after surgery ( according to my stoma nurse) but once you get past that irrigation can be the best thing for getting your life back to relative normality.

Best wishes

Bill 

ShyIntrovert

Hi Dave, I had to have a colostomy for the exact same reason, that along with CD. I've had 8 surgeries on bottom fistulas. I found out yesterday that I have to have it permanently. If you need to talk or ask questions, send me a message or comment.

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Past Member

Hi there from Maine. I have noticed at times, I tend to "dry up". What I do is drink some ginger ale, and the bubbles will force everything out. I also take a Beano before bed, to slow down the "air bag" from deploying at 3AM. I have my pouch (Jake, from State Farm), due to Stage 3B rectal cancer. I have already gotten used to having it. My next door neighbor has a permanent one, and I helped her out by stating to not be embarrassed about having the "pouch". If those who are shallow are grossed out by it, the doorknob has their name on it. I hope you are doing well.

Andy