Reversal of a Second Colostomy

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Dlanham77

I have a second colostomy due to complications from my first colostomy that was due to diverticulitis. I had an anastomotic leak in both surgeries. My surgeon did not know what caused the leaks. I am supposed to have another reversal in October and I am terrified I will have yet another leak. Has anyone experienced a leak and do you know what may have caused it?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,095 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Emra

Hey D....I am heading towards my own reversal surgery - my emergent colostomy (for the same reason as yours - mine perforated the bowel) was done in April this year.

I know you are under tremendous pressure and I do not mean to add to it...just looking at this situation with a different pair of eyes. Have you considered getting a second opinion? I see you live in Georgia...is there a university hospital nearby where you could see a colorectal surgeon and ask "why am I getting these leaks?" I am not saying anything against your surgeon - good lord you have enough on your plate...but you might feel more comfortable if you see another doctor for a consult...

Just a thought. Be well my friend - if all goes well (I have two open wounds at my incision site that must heal up first) I might be getting my reversal at the same time.

- EMRA

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Dlanham77

Thank you Emra for the reply. I actually am going to see a colorectal surgeon next week. My doctor has been great but said he did not feel he could do the reversal. I pray this team of experts has some answers for me! Good luck with your upcoming reversal.

Deena