Say Goodbye to Ostomy Odor with Devrom - The Miracle Solution!

In this discussion
Replies
Views
IHateColons

My biggest ostomy complaint has been smell. Yes, I know. Gross. But poop stinks. And, having to empty in public all the time, I got really frustrated. So, I did some research. There's an over-the-counter pill called Devrom you can buy. It's an internal deodorant. Here's what the description says:

DEVROM® effectively treats embarrassing malodor from flatulence (gas) and stool. FDA approved and available without a prescription. A trusted product for over 40 years. Devrom is an internal deodorant that safely and effectively deodorizes embarrassing flatulence and stool odor. For oral use. Chewable tablets. Bismuth subgallate formula provides immediate odor control from ostomies and fecal incontinence.

I buy it on Amazon. Best $20 I've ever spent. They taste like banana runts. I take 1-2 a day, depending on what I'm eating. For example, if I eat fish or lots of veggies, I take 2. If it's a normal, carb-loading day full of potato skins and Eggo waffles, I only take 1.

I kid you not, these are a total life changer.

Of course, consult with your doctor before adding something to your medicine cabinet.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,097 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Mrs.A

I've tried it as well but didn't seem like it did much for me. Maybe I didn't take it for long enough, I didn't seem to have good results so I stopped before the bottle was empty.

Glad it works for you though!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
IHateColons

That's so strange! Everyone I've talked to has loved it. Even my non-ostomate family members use it when we go on vacations and stuff. Works like a charm.

NotDeadYet

Wow! This looks suspiciously commercial!

Bill

Hello NotDeadYet.

Is this dubiety, scepticism or cynicism? Personally I can rarely separate these three.

I usually paraphrase the bard by eaxclaiming:  "Is this dubiety I see before me?" 

Best wishes

Bill

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
IHateColons

I promise it's not. I have no affiliations with the company. I was just trying to pass along a tip. I found out about it from the support group I went to in the beginning.

Geez. This makes me feel like I can't post anything helpful.

Bill

Hello IHateColons. Thanks for the post and sorry if any of the comments came across as implying doubt or criticism. We have of course had comments previously from people who have vested interests in the products they recommend so it is not surprising that people would be on the look out for surrepticious advertiasing. In this sense, your comeback indicating that there is no such link with you and the company is very helpful.

Please don't be too sensitive or let the comments put you off posting and trying to be helpful as this is what the site is all about.

I look forward to hearing from you again about whatever you find is helpful to you in managing the difficulties involved in having a stoma.

Best wishes

Bill 

Mrs.A

I don't think it's anything but the happiness you feel that it works so well for you and other members of your family. When I find a product that I wouldn't want to be without, I scream it from the housetop!!!! It is only in the hope that others find the wonderful relief that it gives me.

Keep posting your thoughts, opinions, and recommendations, IHATECOLONS!!!!!!!

Emra

Thanks for posting but from a completely different angle. I thought I was getting a bit over dramatic when I smelled fish after eating seafood. I said nothing to my partner in crime (my husband/nurse/emotional consoler/greatest supporter)...because I didn't want it to sound like yet another worry I had - we have gone through so many all of which I found are normal (thanks to the great folks here).

Anyway, your post reinforced what I thought I was experiencing....fish changes the errr....."perfume" of the end results ().

Thanks for posting! This board has been a lifesaver to me....and many many others.

Irjosh

I'm going to try it!

janada

DEVROM® effectively treats embarrassing malodor from flatulence (gas) and stool.

Ihatecolons: I knew there was a reason I logged on today!!! Thanks!

Charleston man

Hi IHATECOLONS,

I too have been using the Devrom Tablets, and you are sooooo right, what a relief. After my first fish episode that literally made my eyes water, I had to find something. My nurse at the time recommended them to me. Now I don't go without them. But I also have to say that everyone's body may react differently even with having an ostomy. Like anything else, it's all trial and error. If it works, keep using it. If not, then do your best to find something that will. I've tried Gas-X, it helped but didn't do a lot. Cheers to you for trying to give tips, that is what this site is all about.

Charleston guy

NotDeadYet

My sincere apologies, IHateColons! I didn't mean to seem rude. Forgive me?

You are helpful!!

Isn't bismuth what they put in Pepto-Bismol? Is Bismuth subgallate very different from Pepto-Bismol? (Besides the obvious flavor-factor!)

in rainbows

I don't think I'll need the pills. I have created such a fear about the odor to my comrades, that just the mention of my "super power," or the ability to clear out large convention halls, will have them withholding any errant farts from my vicinity.

The agreement: I don't smell yours and you won't smell mine!

My super power is an odious tool and I will use it responsibly!

NotDeadYet

Funny, in rainbows!

My friends are kind enough to dedicate bathrooms (discreetly, at my request) for me.

At home, I have my own bathroom and a super-fan.

I remember a few months after the colostomy... a bag full of gas... I thought I could just sneak it all out in bed while hubby slept... WRONG! BUSTED!!!

Yes, we can be a superpower!

in rainbows

I had a full bag of gas one morning not far out from my surgery too...I released it while in bed and about gassed myself to death! That's when I realized my superpower, LOL!

I think you may have found a leverage tool!

Remember NDY, with great power comes responsibility! :)

mtgirl430

I know other people ragging on your posts can be discouraging--but my advice to those who are suspicious or not open to new things--is just ignore them! I am ordering my Devrom today!

LadyHope

Hi all, I am going to post my 2 cents, maybe 3 cents because I also was very uneasy about the pouch odor after surgery. I do change my pouch every day and use water when emptying to reduce the odor. My go-to is ostomy pouch deodorant. It has been very helpful even when I eat fish...which I eat at least twice a week. Prior to the liquid deodorant, the odor made me ill. I don't mean to sound gross but I could smell what I ate...ugh! Anyway, I started experimenting with different brands of ostomy odor control and found three that I really liked.... they did the job pretty well. My fave are M9, Na'scent and Safe and Simple. I have tried others but they did not work well for me. Everyone's body is different so what works for me may not work for you and vice versa. I may try the tablets as well, but with me, another pill is a nuisance. Take care and thank you for starting the topic. It is always a good one. LH