Medication absorption issues with Kock Pouch and digoxin

Replies
Views
MikeLE

Had a proctocolectomy in 1988; Kock Pouch. Diagnosed with atrial fibrillation. On digoxin. Concerned about the poor absorption rate of medication and inadequate dig levels.

Past Member

Meds don't absorb well with ileostomy. The best solution is to break them down and put them into liquid or over food. If they are hard tablets, get a crusher, sold at pharmacies similar to a pill cutter but will pulverize them. I got one in the hospital when I got my ileostomy.

Nancy

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,358 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

MikeLE

Thanks, Nancy. I should have thought of that. Most meds, it's no problem, but with one requiring adequate blood levels, it gets tricky.

Past Member

Mike, I don't take digoxin but does it come in liquid form.

Nancy

MikeLE

Thanks, I'll talk to my cardio regarding which would be better. Atrial fibrillation is tough. Also, I'm on Xarelto.

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
MikeLE

Nancy just noticed you are in Raleigh, NC. My brother lives in Hillsboro and my son in Winston-Salem.

Past Member

Mike, I don't take digoxin but does it come in liquid form.

Nancy looks like my computer wants to play all by itself!

Past Member

Mike--sorry, computer playing with me. Been in Raleigh for 20 years now. Great weather but it's growing wild and soon will be just another crowded little city. Looking westward--have an elderly aunt in Northern California who's looking for some assistance, may head out that way. I LOVE the mountains of W.Va. My brother lives in Va. Beach

Nancy

sova138

I thank you for the information! I was looking for and could not find. You helped me!