Muffling Ostomy Noise at Work?

Replies
Views
Shelley_0407

I'm getting ready to go back to work. I sit with clients all day. My worst fear is that my stoma will sound off. It can be noisy and loud at times. Any suggestions on how to muffle or quiet my stoma?

Bill

Hello Shelly. I feel sure you will get lots of suggestions about diet and muffling techniques as there have been posts about this problem before. However, I note from your profile that you have a colostomy. This may mean that you are a candidate for irrigation, which would almost certainly resolve the problem for you, especially if you use stoma plugs. These allow the gasses to escape without the noise and have the advantage of having built-in charcole filters, so there is no smell either.  

I hope this helps

Best wishes

Bill

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,453 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member

I've asked the exact same, no response, the best thing I've come up with is a little plastic microwave container lid, lined the inside with black rubber foam, sticky on one side, it's a windows draft sealer I think, sticky on one side, peel off to stick like a sticker, get from hardware, to be used as acoustic sound absorber, and I've made a waistband from cutting the trunk away from a polar fleece windsheeter I never wore, this waistband/belt is sewn so it's firm around my waist, I put the lid under the waistband. It moves off position now and then, easy to reposition. It's better than nothing.

Shelley_0407

I am a candidate for irrigation, however my surgeon wants me to wait 6 months post-surgery while I am also doing chemo. Then we will try the irrigation. Just trying to get through the next 5 months in making my stoma less noisy.

Shelley_0407

Good suggestion, thank you. I've been told laying my arm across my stoma will help but that won't always be possible with me as I do a lot of computer work with my clients.

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Bill

Hello Again Shelley. 

I've just been browsing on your behalf and found a post 'What do you do about ostomy gas in public places/situations' August 18th 2012 in the 'collections' box under ostomy tips. This deals with  the same sorts of issues and, if nothing else, it makes for a good read!!

Best wishes

Bill

klark

When I wear tight-fitting briefs that completely cover the pouch, stoma noise is usually muffled a little. Couple that with the arm over the stoma and you should be okay. After a while, you'll find what works best. Also, if you can catch it in time, clear your throat or cough and your clients will probably not hear it. If it's a real loud one, just excuse yourself and say something like... My stomach is rumbling because I haven't eaten yet today. Good luck, you'll be fine!!

Kevin

klark

Oh... forgot to add, good luck with your chemo!!

Ozzwood

I teach college classes and my stoma "talks" all the time. Mostly I put a hand over my stoma and explain that my stomach makes a lot of noises or "I must be hungry" or something like that.

Sometimes I just talk louder and they have no idea what is going on. My students only sit about 3 feet from where I stand. I could really care less if they find out about my colostomy.

Good luck on the chemo! I'm a 3x cancer survivor. Twice with colon and once with cervical. I've only had my colostomy since last December when my colon cancer reared its ugly head the second time.

CH

Hello Shelley... I'm also a rectal cancer survivor (2014) and irrigator... Please keep us posted on your progress and when the time is right for you, you will get a lot of good information and support... Irrigation is life changing! Blessings.. CH:)

Past Member

Probiotics (beneficial bacteria) aid in digestion and reduce bad pathogens (thereby reducing inflammation/infection). We receive probiotics from our mothers during a natural birth. A healthy adult has 100 trillion and over 500 types of probiotics. Antibiotics, medicines, aging, stress all reduce our natural probiotics. Without them, we can develop food intolerance and may not be able to fight off bad pathogens.

Once you identify what food groups are causing trouble, you can also avoid that food group, also digestive enzymes may help. After using apple cider vinegar pills for several days, my lactose and carb/sugar intolerances cleared up. Also, artificial ingredients/preservatives/sweeteners can cause problems.

Everyone's different. It is a trial and error process to find the right amount and the right type of probiotics for you. Always check for side effects and interactions. Start slow and work up to higher amounts. Find a trusted manufacturer and ones with good ratings. They are sensitive to heat, light, moisture, stomach acids, and chlorine. They should be kept refrigerated, taken 2 hours after eating and at least 20 minutes before eating, and taken with filtered water.

There are antibiotics in our meat and hand sanitizers, and GMOs, fertilizers (from petroleum) and pesticides in our food and well water.

Past Member

Also, I'm sorry for what you're going through and wish you the best.

Also, probiotics are 70 of our immune system. The bad bacteria can get through the gut and into the blood stream. Many people with almost all the auto-immune(inflammatory) conditions are posting that probiotics are helping their conditions. (Rheumatoid arthritis (joints), psoriasis/eczema(skin), lupus(internal organs), fibromyalgia(nerves), also alzheimers, mood, depression, parkinsons-although it can only possibly help prevent future damage, not reverse past damage)There are many sites talking about probiotics.

CH

Shelley...wonderful to hear that you are considering irrigation...it was almost 2 years after my surgery that I started...there is no hurry...sometimes I think it's even better to wrap your mind around the life change and master that first..for some people it makes them more motivated to stick with the "learning curve" that sometimes is required with irrigation if they've struggled in some ways with all the *## that is associated with the colostomy and the bag. Best of luck to you and remember..ask questions...there isn't much that hasn't been talked about or addressed in this forum and most people here are very willing to help! Blessings-CH :)

U K Mutt

Hi Shelly, rectal cancer survivor with colostomy here. I agree with probiotics. I buy a refrigerated brand with 50 billion as our systems have been severely compromised over the years. Hence the cancer issue. I switched to all organic foods at home which helped to reduce manufactured foods completely. I feel better too! Now I only have issues with garlic, onions, and fizzy water.

Instead of irritating, I eat 4-6 dried apricots before each dinner meal. If you eat grains (flour, rice, etc.) you'll want 6, lower if not. Adjust as necessary. Costco carries organic ones, organic meats, and a variety of other organics as well. I'm basically going once by bedtime and once in the AM before work. Essentially freeing me up during the day.

I drink 4 quarts of filtered water daily and rarely caffeine. Good luck with chemo. I know you're thinking organic foods, filtered water system, probiotics cost a lot of money. I now eat less in volume as I eat whole foods only so don't eat as much. I bought a Berkey ceramic water system and recently went sugar and grain-free and gradually losing weight and feel great. If I have spent more, it's hardly noticeable and after all, it's improving my health and reducing any future occurrence. Remember, it's all about baby steps. I would alleviate garlic, onions, beans, and try the apricots. Plus, no fizzy drinks and keep up the water. Good luck! Ted

AZishome

I find that foods such as pasta, seafood, potatoes, and cooked vegetables are less likely to produce "noises" as they digest. Stay away from carbonated beverages during the day...try drinking more water than before. You'll get it figured out fairly quickly. I usually gave myself an hour after eating before scheduling meetings, if possible.