Stoma Caps

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Lou 1970

Hello, I'm Sharon. I'm relatively new to having an ileostomy, which I had in January of this year after being diagnosed with ulcerative colitis 2 years previously. I've adjusted well to Herman and have not had any major problems, really (touching wood as I type). I have my products delivered but have recently looked at other makes/suppliers to see what is available and have ordered some free samples. I was wondering if anyone had used the stoma cap. It's non-drainable and round in shape, made of the same material as other products. I'm assuming it's only used for short periods, i.e. swimming, which I am very keen to do as I haven't done it since having my operation and more intimate moments (O I say), which is another issue. But hey, one thing at a time!!!

Any advice welcome. Thank you, fellow ostomates. Sharon x

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,102 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Bettyjoe

Hello and welcome. Most supply companies give a detailed description of all of the products, which also includes information about stoma caps and the purpose of the product. Here on this site, you will also get information as folks read and respond.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
LadyHope

Hi Lou and welcome to MAO. I have been on this site since 2013, just before I had major ostomy surgery. You named your stoma Herman....great name. Stanley is my stoma and I decided to name it two days post-op. The name stuck ever since and makes me feel better when I am doing my daily care. I can't believe that 3 1/2 years have passed since my surgery. It can't be reversed, so this is my permanent new normal. I do not wear stoma caps because I would more than likely ruin it right away. But, periodically I do use a shorter pouch. When I do wear the short pouch, I need to empty more often and it ruins the filter more quickly. I find that sometimes a clogged filter not only causes ballooning but it also could make my pouch smell, so I am very careful. Other than that, I have continued with life with a few adjustments. Take care Lou and keep posting your questions and concerns. Everyone here is very helpful. Have a nice day. Sincerely, LadyHope

Past Member

Hi Lou, yes you're right stoma caps can only be used for a short time with an ileostomy. It depends on how active your stoma is being on the day and how long you can wear them. I see you're from the UK. Really, it's up to your stoma nurse/GP's discretion if they let you have stoma caps on prescription.

I would speak to your stoma nurse first. If they're on your side, they can write or phone your GP to say you will benefit from using them. Hope you're back in the pool swimming soon :)

Manina

Hey,

I've tried the caps for the same reasons and it was a mess within a short time. Also, because they're usually not available with convex wafers.
Do you know the small bags of the Sensura Mio system? They're very small but drainable. I use those from time to time.

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister