Advice for Ileostomy Surgery: Pain, Diet, and Hospital Stay

Replies
Views
Maz

Hi,

I'm new to this site and would appreciate some advice from people who have had ileostomy surgery. I would like to know anything that might help me before my operation. Is it extremely painful? Should I stop eating beforehand? How long is the average hospital stay? I would be grateful for any information.

Thank you and I appreciate you taking the time to read this and reply.

Bettyjoe

Hello and welcome. I have a permanent colostomy, so I don't know if I can answer your questions. Just to let you know, however, I was in the hospital for 7 days. Yes, it was painful, but the pain medication helped. Sitting was difficult because I had to have everything removed and my bottom was stitched up. Walking, I am sure they will insist that you walk as soon as one day after surgery. I had several complications, but it is different for everyone. I am sure that you will get your responses soon. I had my surgery five months ago.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,442 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Bill

Hell Maz. Welcome to the site.

As with Bettyjoe, I have a colostomy so it is slightly different. However, as a general rule, surgery of any kind can be painful but they have drugs to counter this and people are up and about in no time. If I recall correctly, they were waiting until I passed urine and stools without the aid of catheters, before they would consider me going home. The consultant also seemed to be assessing whether or not I would be 'sensible' in looking after myself if he let me home. There were no complications in my case so I was home in about 5 days. Everyone is different in this regard.

As for pre-operation preparation, they should give you all the information necessary. I believe it is normal practice not to eat the day before and they gave me an enema to clear me out.

If you are worried, ask your doctor or nurse for the leaflets on pre-op. preparation, which I found quite helful because I could read them in my own time, as many times as was necessary to understand them.  It is difficult not to worry about these things but there is little point in doing so before the actual outcomes are known. It is true that a few people have complications but these are not usually anything that cannot be fixed and most people sail through it with no complications at all.

Let's hope you are one of those

best wishes

Bill   

NJ Bain

Maz,

I've had a permanent ileostomy for almost 22 years now. I'll try to recall my experience pre and post surgery, but as Bill said, it's different for everyone.

The day before my surgery, I had to do a prep like you would for a colonoscopy to clear my system. I think that was the worst part to be honest. Clear liquid diet but your health professional will guide you on that.

A normal ileostomy surgery with no issues will probably get you out of the hospital in 5-7 days. When I woke up, I had a tube in my nose, down my throat so they could flush my stomach. I wasn't allowed to have anything but ice chips the first few days but then they let you have clear liquid and/or soft surgical foods.

The doctor wanted me up and walking around as soon as possible. I wasn't in pain but I was sore. The air that they put in your body during surgery has to dissipate through your skin and it takes a week or 2. I felt hunched over and was scared I was going to rip my stitches out.

Oh, the doctor told me the sooner I was off of pain medication, the sooner I could go home so I had them take the morphine drip off right away. I wanted out of there. But I was careful and didn't overdo it.

So my advice to a person having ileostomy surgery is this:

At least 3 days prior to your surgery, go out and eat your favorite meal/s if your system can handle it.
Well before your surgery, try to put on a few extra pounds as you will lose a lot of weight right after surgery.
After surgery, be very careful moving around and do not do anything too quickly or overdo it. Your body will heal but it takes time. No heavy lifting as you don't want to risk a hernia.
When you do start eating normal food, remember....CHEW CHEW CHEW. Chew your food up VERY well. The more you chew your food, the easier it is for your body to absorb nutrients and digest and the less of a chance you'll have an obstruction. You'll want to avoid stoma obstructive foods right after surgery, but eventually, you will be able to eat those foods in moderate portions. Below is a card I found on this site that lists certain foods and what they do.
Ostomates Food Reference Chart
Talk to your ET nurse well before your surgery. If he/she is worth their weight in salt, they will be an extremely valuable resource.
Stay confident. The ileostomy causes some people to have warped body issues. Do not let the ostomy define you. You will still be you.
Post your feelings in the forums on this site before and after surgery. We are all family here and will be happy to answer any questions you may have.

Hope my 2 cents worth helps. But please let us know if you have any other questions.

Bain

Maz

Thank you all so much for your replies. Bain, your information has been really helpful. It's difficult talking to family as they are worried enough about me, so I keep my thoughts to myself. I am looking forward to gaining my life back. I know it's silly, but I'm just anxious about how I will manage at first. I'm happy I can come on this site and chat with people who have been through this.

All the information I get from real experiences will help me through this.

Once again, thank you for your replies.

Maz

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Nick-Luton

Hi Maz

I'm in the UK and I had a permanent ileostomy last year in Watford General.

To add to the good advice above

There is no need to worry. It's more scary than painful and pain control should be complete.

Length of stay? - depends on many factors so I wouldn't like to guess but the good old NHS will get you out ASAP.

So Good Luck and let us know when you have escaped ; (feel free to PM me if you like)

Nick