Blending Veggies for Ileostomy: NutriBullet Experiences?

Replies
Views
2tired

I've been considering getting a NutriBullet or similar blender so that I can have a safe way to eat vegetables. I had my ileostomy surgery in November 2015, and I've been hospitalized 3 times since then with blockages. Two doctors told me the blockages were from scar tissue, not food. But one of the doctors on my latest hospital stay asked me what I'd been eating! I felt very offended by what seemed to me to be his almost accusatory tone, but then I realized that just about all the vegetables I eat could be suspect when it comes to blockages. That's when I started seriously considering a NutriBullet. If the issue is just chewing enough, it seems that would help. But I've also seen messages online saying that the pulverizing doesn't remove the fiber. So if the problem is the fiber, would using the NutriBullet do any good? I'd really appreciate knowing the experience of those who have tried the NutriBullet (or similar machines).

Immarsh

Hi,

My name is Marsha, and I've had my ileostomy for more than 50 years, since I was 15. Back then, I had very little problem with digesting foods... Veggies had to be well cooked (overcooked), but I could eat raw salad, but not cabbage. I could eat peas, but sometimes corn gave me a problem. Chewing well has a lot to do with it, especially with high fiber items. In recent years (as I've gotten older), foods I've always eaten began giving me problems. I'm told that happens to many as they age. I've been thinking of buying a Nutri Bullet for a few years (but haven't gotten around to it) so that I could juice raw veggies that I could never eat. I don't think pulverized fiber would cause a problem. I've been trying to reduce the amount of red meat and dairy and would like to replace those with healthier choices. Personally, I think it's a good idea and worth trying. Let us know if you do go ahead with it.

Best regards,

Marsha

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,369 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

NotDeadYet

Hi, 2tired!

My first blockage was a couple of weeks after surgery 2 years ago. I was hospitalized for it, but they weren't sure if it was due to scar tissue or not. Personally, I blamed my spinach and cheese quiche. If I knew then what I know now... I would have glugged down 6 ounces of prune juice and we could have skipped the hospital visit. Prune juice WORKS.

After my surgery that ended up in a colostomy, my cousin bought me a Nutri-bullet. We used it daily for a couple of months, then only occasionally, then after about 9 months it became REALLY LOUD!

Hubby thinks I'd be better off with a Vitamix blender, but they're what, 400? For that price, I could have perfect teeth and chew well.

One thing with the Nutribullet was that it didn't fully chop flax seed. These seeds are highly nutritious but are like tiny apple seeds. Small, flat, and hard. Try getting THOSE out of your bag easily! Labor Intensive! Most people using Nutribullets are emotionally happy with the food breakdown, but still never realize what it is to truly know how well that blender works...

So... maybe use the Nutribullet and prepare to chew well?

Not Dead Yet

Bill

Hello 2tired. This is an interesting subject that raises several side issues. I was using a blender for ages because the food would not go down and when it did, it caused blockages. Eventually, I found out that the trouble I was having with my esophagus was probably the same problem that I was having with my gut. The peristalisis was not working properly and so the food was not getting pushed along the pipes.  It would not have mattered much whether the food was chewed, whether it was fibrous or not, if the mecahnism for pushing the food through is not working, then there will be blockages.  In my own case it got stuck right at the beginning of the process so I did not put it down to anything to do with intestinal problems. They gave me some medicine called Domperidone that helps with the peristalsis and, not only did the problem resolve in the esophagus, it also resolved the blockages further down the intestinal pipes.

I am not suggesting that this will be the problem with you all, but I thoguth I'd share my experience anyway.

Before I had the medication, I also found that Metamucil helped to push stuff through.

Best wishes

Bill 

Ewesful

Fiber is fiber and your body does not need it -- what you need is protein for energy - I do not eat foods that don't digest unless the taste now and then seems important. Like for instance, really well-cooked red cabbage is yummy but it is chancy unless very finely cut. I eat a lot of meat, peanut butter, and cooked veggies - especially potatoes. I cannot handle any of the fiber grains, so I buy cheap white bread for a sandwich. Carrots just will not digest for whatever reason.

I hope this helps - I am missing enough digestive organs that I may be far more sensitive -- but think about it ;- fiber is for pushing food through an area you don't own anymore!!

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Merv Glip

Get one. If you are very wary of the fiber factor, try a juicer. It removes 90% and leaves you with pure micro-nutrients. I purchased a masticating juicer right after my initial surgery. I honestly feel it helped me all through chemo. I still love the Mean Green. It's a hard start, it is a habit, but after 7-10 days of juicing, you'll know there's something working here.

I have had my Ileostomy for 5 years now and have had about 3 serious blockages that put me in the hospital. All of which I admit were my stupidity. I would eat right for months at a time and then indulge in some food that did not break down. I'm talking pizza etc. Now that I have had my gall bladder removed, my tolerances are even lower. So animal fats like chicken skin and deep fried foods are out. Potato chips etc. Sugars are also on my do not indulge in. After a blockage, I would return to eating great for months and feeling great and slowly fall off the wagon. (Homer Simpson syndrome) DOH! I was my own worst enemy. The other mention to this bad habit routine is that when I ate foods that did not break down immediately, my intestines would bear the load. They would bulk up with food and as they did, they applied pressure to the ostomy area. This caused, or at least combined with my activity level, my ostomy hole to advance to peristomal hernia. Not happy. This is very difficult to cope with.

So...

Pulverized fibers should not be a problem for most. I found my biggest issues to be long fibered veggies. Green Beans, celery, Kale and Arugula lettuces. Even eating bulk Raw carrots etc. (I drank Carrot juice though, with ginger and sometimes beets, yummy.) Good detox and energy bump. Also, it dyes the output for some psychedelic entertainment in the bathroom! lol.

I could go on and on about the benefits of juicing and blending. The bullet is just a disposable mini blender with, for my buck, really cheap parts and most importantly blades. I'm sorry but the blades should not dull after 2 months of usage on fruits and veggies. My 20-year-old blender works great and is still as sharp as the day I bought it. The Ninja is good too. but again...glorified expensive blender. Just shop garage sales for old blenders. They made them to last. The juicer though you'll have to spend a buck on. I recommend the Hurom Upright. The VRT is basically the same unit. But Hurom had a ten-year warranty on the motor I liked. VRT was only 2 years. But it is still a great practical unit. It's important to clean these well after each use. Take care of them and they will keep you healthy for years.

A general rule my Doc told me years ago for my ostomy health is the 4 S's. Soft, Squishy, Slushy, Slurries.

Some good inspiration for juicing is the movie Fat Sick and Nearly Dead.

I hope this helps. In short... I think fiber is good, but it does need to be broken down. Micro Nutrients good. Keep some in the fridge and sip all day. I'll have a 6 oz glass 5-6 times a day. Good coffee, tea substitute.

Don't be afraid to learn everything about our digestive tract. You will develop a much keener sense of what YOUR body is capable of handling and what genuinely makes you feel good. Where our absorption takes place and the importance of a clean system. It may take some time but when you know... you know!

Good luck! And stay positive! Keep us posted!

Darcy.

Past Member

2Tired--Everyone is in agreement that chew, chew, chew is the most important thing to help avoid problems. I have an ileostomy for two years and I eat everything and anything. But, I also drink ----a lot of fluids. 2 liters daily of an electrolyte enhanced beverage (for me G2 Gatorade) and at least 2 liters more of my choice of beverages, with me it's usually water. I do have milk or juice or tea or even soda, but it is best to stay low on items with caffeine and carbonation. Also, dairy (milk) causes problems for some people. If you don't like Gatorade there are sites on the web to make your own beverage with the right amount of electrolytes and sodium, (another item of loss that causes ostomates trouble). Good luck

Peace

Nancy

Teddiee

Yes, a good blender that mashes fruit and vegetables to a pulp is superb for Crohn's and Ulcerative Colitis, as both diseases (and Ileostomies and Colostomies) tolerate sloppy food rather than roughage.

Chewing all food extremely well before swallowing is good for everyone, not only those folks with an IBD, as the saliva mix helps with ongoing digestion too.

Juicers only give you that...juice. Blenders are better, as you get the goodness contained in the pulp and skin of fruit and veg - but you do need to pulverize well in the machine, to at least a thick soup consistency.

With food blockages in an Ileostomy or Colostomy, it is food pieces, shreds, or chunks that just cannot be pushed through.

Teddiee

Further on this.... My biggest food offenders for blockages have been...... HUGE Pizza, Carrot Strips, Green Sliced Beans, Raw Sliced Onions, Mushrooms (can form an actual "plug" forming blockage behind the stoma), Apples, Oranges (orange pulp can be a big problem to pass). So.... you just have to remember.... Ileostomies love slop, slop and more SLOP..... and liquids, of course.