Stoma Getting Smaller and Farting More Because of It

Replies
Views
petunia

Lately, my stoma is getting smaller. I have had it for 11 years. It seems whatever I eat, it makes very loud noises and is very disturbing when in a quiet place. Is there anything that can be done for this except surgery? Please advise as I am scared to go in public right now.

Bill
Hello petunia.
Loud noises are caused with the flapping of the skin - a bit like a balloon when the end is stretched and the air flows through fast. I managed to cure this altogether by using a stoma plug which is made of a foam substance that lets the air out whilst preventing the skin from flapping. It also has a filter which stops the smell - a double advantage. Obviously these stoma plugs work much better for people like me who irrigate and don't have continuous output but I cannot see why they, or something like them, couldn't be adapted to work with a bag as well.
Just a thought!
Best wishes
Bill
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,370 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.