Severe Bag Leakage

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Loz1

A quick bit of backstory.

I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease last year, went through all the treatments for it which didn't work, then was told I had to have emergency surgery to have my large intestine removed. I had the surgery, came out of the hospital 2 weeks later, and spent 6 weeks at home, finally enjoying life. However, I started suffering from severe pain which stopped me from eating, which turns out was a blockage in my bowel caused by a buildup of scar tissue, so I had a second surgery and came out of the hospital 2 weeks later.

The problem is that the second scar, where the second operation took place (this time it wasn't keyhole), is so close to the stoma site that both the wound dressing and stoma bag overlap, which leads to severe leakage. It also doesn't help that the last batch of bags I have are faulty and seem to leak at any point during the day. I have been to see my stoma nurse and she tried to give me new bags, but I'm having the same problem. I am currently visiting family and away from home, so my supplies are far away. Before the second operation, I was doing well, but now I have to put on another bag almost twice a day. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Also, I'm new to forums, so I don't really know what I'm doing on them.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,095 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

October Born

Hi Loz1,

I have had major problems with leakage as well, although for different reasons. I have found using convex bags is a great start to stopping this problem. You can get them in convex light or convex deep. I use the deep ones because they push down the area around the stoma more than the light ones. After my surgeries, the surgeon used glue to close the incisions and my bag overlapped with the incisions, and it hurt like hell to pull that bag off to change it for quite some time, but I didn't have to deal with dressing. I am not sure that with the differences in situations my suggestion will be helpful, but thought it couldn't hurt to suggest it anyway. Wishing you good luck and better days ahead.

Darlene

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate