I am a 26-year-old Male
Interested in meeting or talking to: Anyone

I am a 51-year-old Male
Interested in meeting or talking to: Female
Meet and talk to 20,082 OstoMates

Ileostomy Skin Barrier Medicinal Odor

Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:06 pm

Hi all

For the last month+ I have noticed a very medicinal odor that occurs after wearing my flange for 1 day or so;  it actually causes my clothing in that area to pick up the odor as well.  It is not the result of output.... not sure why this is happening and/or what can be done about it.  I switched products (was using Convatec) as I thought maybe I had developed a strange chemical reaction with what I was using but the new company product (Hollister) causes the same problem.  I am planning on calling both Convatec and Hollister to see what they think.  Any thoughts from you all are appreciated!  I really don't want to have to change the flange/pouch every day as the cost will definitely add up!!!

Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:44 pm

Shash,

I've never noticed a medicinal odor before, but once I started taking high doses of Omega-3 pills, I would notice a very strong metallic fishy smell that would permeate my clothing in that area as well.  I've found gummy Omega-3 pills that don't do that but they come in a much lower dose.

Has your diet changed or are you taking any suppliments that may have changed the flora in your system?  Just curious.

Bain

Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:13 pm

Hi Bain,

I started noticing this issue when I began using cortisone cream for psoriasis so I thought it was just the combination of the medicaiton with my skin (I was using it around the stoma area as well as a few other areas).  I found, however, even when not using the cream it would occur so not sure that was ever an issue at all...I do take Omega 3 Fish Oil but never noted that to be an issue but I will definitley investigate that a bit more.  I am now trying a Coloplast product and will say that this whole day I have noted no odor at all (of course I forgot to take the fish oil today so I'll see what tomorrow brings!)

Thanks for responding to my post

Shash

Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:14 pm

Bain,

I do think it was the fish oil...I actually took fish oil with my new Coloplast product and  by the end of that day I had the odor!  Since I stopped the fish oil, no more problem.   The owner of my healthfood store is surprised to hear this and said this indicates that I was not processing the fish oil so we will look to see how we can remediate this.

Thanks very much for bringing this to my attention

Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:32 am

Shash,

My pleasure.  I've been taking a lower dose gummy version of the Omega-3 and I haven't noticed an odor.  Of course, I have a cold right now and I still might have some odor.  I try to take them with food now, preferably fruit to better eliminate any odor.

I'm guessing since I have an ileostomy, that I don't process the fish oil normally as one would with a large intestine.  It just makes for a big stink.  Like I said, I am taking lower doses but finding lots of foods that provide Omega-3 naturally such as fish and nuts.  It's just so much easier to take a suppliment in pill form.

I'll let you know when my cold is gone and if I notice any odor.  I think it's great that this has been noticed.

Bain

* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or MySpace account, or phone number. It will be removed by the Administartor.