Pancaking: Understanding Stool Backing Up

Replies
Views
ycats

Is it when stool backs up under the appliance?

pete b

No, it's when the stool is quite solid and pushes the pouch away, normally happens when lying down on your back, and doesn't drain to the pouch bottom... a build-up where the stoma is.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,358 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

ycats

I find that happens when I don't use lubricant

NotDeadYet

Really? Lubricant stops that?

If my poo all pancake-smooshes up near my stoma, I start drinking prune juice.

Once, 2 years ago, (I was a newbie) I let things stiffen up, didn't notice that my colostomy flow had stopped, and spent 5 days in the hospital with a tube up my nose that sucked out my backlogged poo that couldn't make it into my colostomy bag.

I've since faced the same risk, but I start slurping prune juice (usually 6 oz is enough). But you've got to keep the flow going. Pancaking is a precursor to no flow at all. Make a plan for that.

LadyHope

Yes, I pancake also when I am sleeping, especially when I eat lots of starchy things like pasta, potatoes, bread, rice...etc. The pouch may be empty but around my stoma builds up. Ugh!

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Past Member

I learn the best way to keep things running smoothly is to eat three prunes a day. It just keeps everything running, no constipation, and keeps things soft so it drains into the bag good. I was getting a lot of pancake into it, which was driving me nuts. I had to keep working the stool down into the bag, then it would well up again and I have to keep doing the same thing