Seeking Advice on Sugarbaker Surgery for Hernia Repair

Replies
Views
Bill

Hello Harleydoll. I'm not an expert on hernias but I have been informed by a few professionals over the years that we can get post operation hernias by doing something as simple as raising an arm or a leg, by lifting something as light as a pound of sugar or getting into a position that stretches the susceptable muscles (in other words any position at all!)

I think the most graphic illustration I have heard, was a friend of mine who went to weight watchers; They worked out how much he should lose in weight and got him to literally carry that amount in bags of sugar for a day. He told me it was absolutely exhausting and was glad to finally get rid of it. After that, he vowed to get rid of the excess body weight he was carrying each and every day. After a while he managed it and said he felt so much better for it.

With hernias, they talk about not lifting stuff but if the weight is already there in your body, it's difficult to see how you are going to avoid lifting it. The point being, that it doesn't matter in what form the weight comes, if you're lifting it, then a hernia is likely to be the result or, if you already have one , then it may become more aggravated than it would be if you were not carrying the weight.

This is just an opinion based on common-sense logic, rather than medical fact. Nonetheless, I hope it is helpful in your own deliberations.

best wishes

Bill

HarleyDoll

But I would think it does matter which form the weight comes in. And as you stated, taking a different position can also bring on a hernia. For instance, let's think about 'putting one's back out'. It wouldn't happen just because a person is fat, but it could happen if the person twisted a certain way or picked up a 50-pound weight perhaps. So no, I don't think having weight ON your body would be the same premise at all.

I basically was just wondering if weight gain was a risk factor for getting a hernia or not. And no, I'm afraid your reply doesn't answer my question. It may sound like it makes common sense, but a harder look (as explained above) makes it not so logical really. Although if I had a 50-pound weight of fat roll around my middle dragging on my stoma, then yeah, it makes sense it could cause a hernia. So I guess it would probably be important how that weight gain was distributed on the body.

I personally feel better without extra weight, and I personally feel that this weight gain could definitely cause a hernia to develop. But here's the rub. All the doctors - even though I complained about the weight gain and was chagrined about it - did NOT encourage me to lose the weight. They were so happy that I had quit smoking and said that was so much more important. And NOT ONE OF THEM MENTIONED I COULD DEVELOP A HERNIA FROM WEIGHT GAIN. Further proving my point that doctors do not warn against hernias, let alone tell us what could cause them to develop.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,321 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Bill

Hello Harleydoll.

Sorry if my comments were not helpful on this occasion but I did say that I am not an expert on hernias! Also, my own experience has been mostly trying to put on weight rather than lose it so that doesn'r make me an expert on  weight issues either. It was interesting to hear that you have given up smoking because,  many years ago, when I gave up, I put on over a stone in weight, which was the one and only time in my life that this happened.It took about a year to get down to my normal weight and after that I was back to trying to maintain  a reasonable weight without aggravating the gut problems too much.

As for doctor's advice, I have found that some of them have difficulty focussing on more than one thing at a time so if for example, they want you to give up smoking, it's as if nothing else matters in comparison.

My own parastomal hernia came with the operation so had nothing to do with what I did or didn't do - unless of course it happened when I was still in the hospital bed. Other hernias I have could well have been caused by some sort of strain but it's no good going through life thinking that we shouldn't do anything - becasue of what 'might' happen.  I was once told thatg most groin hernias in men are caused by them casually shifting things on the floor with their feet ina sideways movement. This is such a 'natural' thing to do that most people wouldn't even think about it - until something snaps. 

You are quite right when you say that different positions can bring on hernias but then, we are getting ourselves into a miriad of different positions every minute of every day. Who can tell which of these positions will be the ones we should not have made? One piece of advice I did get from one of the nurses was that I should try not to cough, sneeze or vomit because these activities are typical of what causes hernias when folks have recently had surgery.

I hope you keep looking for answers to your questions and share what you find out so that we can all benefit.

Best wishes

Bill

andyd

I will be going for ostomy hernia repair this fall. The doc says it will be laparoscopy with a net repair, which sounds like the Sugarbaker technique. I expect a lot of being careful after this process as I am a nurse and do a lot of pulling and lifting. Of course, that will have to cease.

The doc says it should be pretty simple unless scar tissue gets in the way. I will post as I learn more.

Andy

CharK63

Good luck, Andy,

My hernia operation was laparoscopic and it was fairly easy, so I expect you will do okay. In hindsight, most things all seem simple, don'tcha think? Not too funny, sorry, but that method is not so invasive at all.

I admit to having some mental anguish though. A fear of hurting myself again, not getting well as soon as I expected, and I really resisted the weight limit.

I'm doing okay now, and I hope to hear you say you are too.

Sincerely,

Charlotte

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Scottie

Hi Andy.

Wondering how your surgery scheduled for August 2017 turned out.

I have now also got a date for reversal and hopefully repair of my parastomal hernia. Could you give me an update?

I had asked my doctor about using mesh and he said he does not do that as it could cause infection. Now, that may only be because of some other conditions I have going on myself.

Scottie

Hello HarleyDoll

Just now noticed your message from last November. Sorry about that, apparently it is impossible to PM anyone without a paid-up membership. But would love to speak privately, but also I am not a paid member so - no can do -.

I now have a date for my colostomy reversal and hernia repair at the same time?!?!? I wonder if it can be done, but the doc says yes, it will be ok.

I may have mentioned my parastomal hernia is the size of a third large breast... people most likely think I am 6 or 7 months along in my pregnancy if looking at me from the side. Really ridiculous!

So I am hoping it will all go ok. I am having it done at SMH as my Dr. K. Chuah is working there. The date is 2 weeks from today... if it is not rescheduled.

I am a bit scared, and also thinking it is another 'stall' in life and what one can do for however long it takes to recover. Last time they said about 6 weeks, but I only felt better after a year.

Hope you will message me on here.

Scottie

uaqim

Hi there. This is my first post.

I am an immunosuppressed person having had a liver transplant 14 years ago and have a parastomal hernia that I am considering having surgery for.

My question is: Are there any immunosuppressed people out there who have had parastomal hernia surgery? My potential surgeon advises that there are many risks for me and that I can expect a long and difficult recovery.

Any advice/thoughts would be most welcome.

Have a great day.

Bill

Hello uaqim. I cannot really help with your queerie but this thread is a year old and I suspect that not many people will be following it now. May I suggest that you would probably get better response if you posted yur question in a separate, new thread.

Best wishes

Bill

uaqim

Thanks, Bill. I have posted a new thread.

Scottie

Hello Uaqim.

I am also immunosuppressed and have had some adventures with abdominal surgery recently.

I am on prednisone, so that is a factor also - some surgeons do not want to operate if a patient is on steroids. In my case, I/they had no choice. In fact, the emergency colostomy saved my life.

That was 3 years ago. I was left with an ostomy and then, after complications, a parastomal hernia about the size of a human head. The original doctor and nurses never did mention or help me out by giving me a binder or girdle after the first invasive abdominal surgery. I believe that would have saved me a lot of trouble.

I have recently had a reversal of the ostomy and repair of the parastomal hernia. It was not without a few complications, but before I went to the operating room, I verified that there would be a surgical binder there for me to have put on before I woke up from surgery. I was terrified of another hernia situation. I did have to go back into the hospital again about 2 weeks later for pain and to investigate a swelling which turned out to be fluid-filled and infected. Gastro surgery is not simple or straightforward, I suppose. It is very important not to lift anything over 5 lbs or strain after this surgery.

At times since the surgery, which was now 10 weeks ago, I have felt sorry I had it done. That was in the convalescence phase, feeling sorry for myself. Now, I do feel much better and happy to have done it. This surgery will take it out of a person. It is important to get a lot of rest, eat right, etc.

I now can wear normal-looking clothes and feel much more like my former self. Just make sure you have a side rail on your bed - it helps to avoid stress on the abdomen when getting up or down in bed, and perhaps a cane or walker for the first while. In Canada, we can rent the side rail or any other needs like a tub support for getting into the shower from the Red Cross.

Good luck and let me know how you make out.

uaqim
Hi Scottie,

Thank you for your honest and complete explanation of what happened to you. I am also on Prednisolone.

I don't mind admitting that I'm a bit scared at the prospect of surgery. My prospective surgeon has explained that there are many risks - both with the operation itself (he's suggesting laparoscopic surgery and mesh repair) and the recovery afterwards.

The hernia is not particularly worrying me at the moment (no soreness, just the occasional cramp when I put on socks and/or shoes) and the surgeon has given me a 3-monthly appointment to really think it all over and to find out as much as I can beforehand.

My stomal therapy nurse has suggested I consider a hernia support belt with a hole and I have been looking at various American websites (Australia does not make or sell these).

Have you (or did you) use a hernia support belt or do you know anyone who does? It would be interesting to correspond by email with someone who uses one.

I'll keep the thread updated with my learnings and with what I eventually decide to do.

Kind regards

Steve
Scottie

Hi Steve,

I did use a hernia belt - mesh with a hole for the bag. It was good in keeping my overlarge hernia supported as otherwise it is hard on the back. I guess a back support would also be something to consider. I recommend the hernia belt.

They are expensive - my ostomy nurse recommended going to Walmart or some superstore (cheap) and buying a girdle or even pregnancy support item. I did that at first, before the hernia became so large and my daughter made a hole the shape of the ostomy and reinforced it with more elastic. It could be done by a seamstress as alterations. That is about $200 cheaper than the other type of hernia belt.

I was also really worried about the outcome. It is a huge worry. I think that is normal and also I heard from others that the operation usually doesn't end up working out. Very worrying. But so far so good.

Also, I did ask my surgeon about the mesh idea and he said not recommended as it encourages infection which in our case would be a certainty.

Anyway, good to consider all aspects for sure. Also, do you have something called RATE MY MD where you can check out the doctor? What about a second opinion? I did that with a very highly qualified doc (he teaches gastroenterology) and he sort of gave me the confidence in the surgeon to go ahead.

Warm regards,

Louise

uaqim

Hi Louise,

You don't mention whether you are immunosuppressed? Are you (or were you at the time of your hernia repair)?

We don't have your equivalent of Rate my MD in Australia as far as I am aware.

What year did your surgeon not recommend the mesh reinforcement (my potential surgeon seems to think that using the mesh is a no-brainer).

I like your idea of creating a "home made" hernia support belt. I will explore that as an option. For me to purchase a hernia belt in the US I will have to pay 140 - 150 USD + 60 USD postage. Ouch!!

My potential surgeon is a consulting surgeon for two major public hospitals and one large private hospital in Brisbane, Australia, but has admitted to us that he has consulted with two other surgeons (I don't know where) about my proposed operation. I'm encouraged by that.

He has told me that although he would aim for laparoscopic surgery repair I would have to sign some sort of form acknowledging that if that didn't work - that he would have to do open cut surgery. That does worry me! He also advises that he might start the operation and, possibly, may not go ahead with it if he believed that it would not be in my best interests, health wise.

Lots and lots to think about.

Kind regards

Steve

andyd

Still on the waitlist for hernia repair. Keep getting told the same story, limited surgical times and more important surgeries than mine. I understand mine is not imperative and I'm cool with that. Would like to just have it done.

bigreyguy

I go on April 9 to see about reversal and get the hernia fixed too.

CharK63

Hi all,

This is Charlotte again. I remember now why I don't post often. I have such trouble navigating this site! I just lost my whole note when I went back to correct a spelling error! And it was my phone that changed "stoma" to "stomach"!

Dang, dang, dang!

Well, I'm going to see my surgeon about hernias in April. I think they are the same 2 from 18 months ago. You're quite right, it's scary! If we don't manage them, they can cause another bowel obstruction and there we go again!

I'm not in much pain and I've put off going in, but now I feel it getting huge from getting backed up.

I contracted MRSA while I was in the hospital, and I've been clear of that since August, so it's been six months of feeling good, trying to regulate my bowels, being active, and getting fat and sassy (oh no!). Hope to have good results.

Really, I haven't even confirmed the hernias yet, and my referring doctor wonders if they will want to do surgery as I have much scar tissue and had heavy bleeding. I wonder if it's because I have keloids when I scar on the outside. No one medical has said.

Wish you all good luck and hang in there!

CharK63

bawills68

Did you have your Sugarbaker surgery?

andyd

I finally had my surgery. Two weeks post-op. So nice to see down my belly again without a huge bulge to the side. Recovery is slow and being quiet is not that fun. I had the "Sugarbaker" laparoscopy. Will be off work for 5-6 weeks and return with modified duties. The first week was extremely painful, but things are starting to settle and am not on pain medication anymore. Still get sore and am limiting my activities.

Happy I did it!

Andy

andyd

3 weeks post hernia surgery and am doing much better. Still not lifting more than 10 lbs and off work until mid June. Started bowel irrigation (x2 now). Things are looking much better. I'm wearing a hernia belt and am going to get a second one so I can wash one in between. My stoma is smaller and changed shape so I have to relearn to cut new appliances. I've been using a two-piece system up until a few days ago. When I started irrigating again, I went back to one piece. Irrigating is going much better without the hernia.

Good luck all

Andy

Lakelover8

Hello,

I have both an incisional and parastomal hernia, one caused by weight gain after my surgery. I have never heard of your procedure but plan to Google it because I am scared to death also.

Good luck!

Old Bud
Reply to HarleyDoll

Same here. I have a growing hernia and prolapse stoma. 2 years later and only learning now how to manage it when I think I could have prevented it had I known. I do not want a reversal after learning about LARS issues. So at some point, I will need hernia repair and stoma reset although the surgeon tells me they will both come back but I might now know better how to deal with both. All the best to you.