Newbies Unite! Welcome, Corey95! And What the **** is This B

Replies
Views
NotDeadYet

I'm brand new to posting topics (can't post until you're a member or maybe you get a month free if you're very verbal. . .), but Corey95 is a newbie. Welcome Corey!

I think being a newbie is a topic within itself!Wow! An Ostomy!

My own colostomy was not a choice, it was a surprise after surgery, and I awoke both after the cancer surgery and also a year later thinking, "What the F**k?"

And then, this morning, two years later, I woke up thinking, "oh my goodness! My colostomy is really real!" As I do every day now.

Most ostomates, from what I gather, had a bit of a "heads up" before the ostomy surgery. They knew that they were getting an ostomy, and could prepare for it. We also get some who are looking at a choice--ostomy or not.

As much as my ostomy was a shocker to me, in retrospect it was certainly the best medical choice. Once they opened me up they realized that my ovarian cancer ate everything, including my colon. (Appy the Appendix! Where are you? You were merely part of the carnage of my surgery before you were ever thought to be named)

There are some really even-keeled people on this site, Corey, (way better than me!). Our best way to help you is not by advice, but by telling what we feel and how we cope--you can pick and choose how that would or does not not affect your personal perspective from that as you see fit. But by comparing our perspectives to yours, you've already taken one more step into successful ostomy mental management.

Keep checking back, it's a nice crowd, and we love to welcome newbies best of all.

Not Deat Yet

Bill

Hello NotDeadYet.

Thanks for replying to cory's post and stating what we all feel. However, I would ask the question - Where is the first post from Corey? Is it me ? Am I missing something that was there and is no longer? Or did you get all this information just from the title of the post?

Whatever!  welcome Corey and I hope that you get lots of replies to your question - 'what the **** is this b'?

I'm looking forward to finding out for myself

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,370 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

ycats

although i was told that i would probably have an ostomy, i was never completely prepared for what that meant. they truly do not prepare you with details.its all aftermath that we have questions and concerns that only people on this site can answer and address. the docs and nurses do not have ostomies and therefore can only guess at what might work for us....keep checking in...

Denton

Corey, Be strong. I have no idea how one adjusts to this new reality we live with. We just seem to go on. We find supplies that allow us ;to live more securely with our ostomies. For me the more secure fit of the SenSura Mio and occasionally the Brava elastic barrier strips if I'm going out for a long evening, is what works. I also irrigate every three or four days with the Coloplast Assura Irrigation Kit.

Your partner who left you would never have observed the vow which speaks of "through sickness and through health". You're young and hopefully you have some passion for activities that can increase your health and strength. Right now that should be your focus.

Words just seem so inadequate and I love words but they fail us here. You have to create your happiness now with friends who are true and not superficial. Life will be different but as long as you draw breath you can make a vital life for yourself. This is hard but you're young and really do have many new experiences ahead of you.

Be strong and find inspiration anywhere you can. It takes a while, through a lot of trial and error, to be able to live with this, but you can, you will and you must. Life, with whatever curves it throws at us, it worth it.