Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates 20,232 members

Another horrific time!

Posted by Angelicamarie, on Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:53 am

good day all, I'm a disabled veteran so I had an appt I'm sitting in the office with the doctor, I had on jeans a lace blouse, combat boots and a leather jacket, I felt warm. So I told the doc I have to get in the bathroom , which was right across the hall from office.. I told the doc I have leaked and I'm warm all over , she said I'll call maintence. So in the meantime I'm in the bathroom One stall thank god!!!! So I'm coming out of all my clothing . By me being at va the exchange was open, which is a military store that carries different things clothes perfumes all kinds of thing so my husband went down and bought me a dress. Well I carry a big bag of supplies wipes,soap, face cloth extra pouch barrier and ring. I had to keep the jacket and the boots but that got me out the bathroom and back to the appt which was just about finished. I heard the maintenance man when he went in the bathroom he hollered oh s--t . I really felt bad for him cause I'm sure it wasn't a pretty sight. It's one thing to leak at home but when your out in the public it's humiliating. But I survived that day and that was the 2nd and last episode that happened in the public have you been there? Angelicamarie

Last edited by Angelicamarie on Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply by xnine, on Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:29 pm

Yes

Reply by Angelicamarie, on Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:28 pm

Hi xnine what you out in public?

Reply by Bill, on Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:15 pm

Hello Angelicamarie.

Thanks for sharing your story, which is a useful reminder to many ofd us about the times that we have had embarrassments in public places. When I was wearing bags  I had several such incidents and lived through them to tell the tale later. But the one I tell most was long before my stoma days, when I was incontinent of faeces. It was infinitely harder to keep some sort of control over the problem when it came from my anus , rather than the front of my stomach. I was in a supermarket and wanted access to the disbled toilets but the security guard said i COULDN'T USE IT BECAUSE i HAD NO PROOF THAT i WAS DISABLED.  I tried reasoning with him to the point where it was to late and shit flowed out of the bottom of my trousers and all over the floor. Only then did he allow me into the toilet to clean up, but there was no apology on his part, only a sarcastic comment that I should carry some proof of disability . After that I always carried a card and a RADAR key. But it never happened again because I opted for surgery which meant that I had much more control.

I love these stories as they bind us together as soul-mates.

Best wishes

Bill  

Reply by Angelicamarie, on Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:17 pm

Wow bill, we got through it, but you sure don't forget. Thank you and you very right that do connect us as soulmates thank you bill this was after the surgery for me!!! Both times . That why I'm going to the stoma nurse Monday to learn how to irrigate. After listening to some of my fellow ostamates if you have more control I want it. Angelica

Reply by xnine, on Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:50 pm

OK Angelica. We were on a car trip. I noticed my bag was part full but I was to lazy and in a rush to get going to change it. Only a few miles down the road it exploded. To big a mess to stop at the side of the road. Stopped at a service station, I wanted one with washroom acess on the out side but no luck. So I am trying to get cleaned up and it erupts again, such a big mess. At least I had cloths in the suitcase My wife was a big help getting me cloths  and stuff and calming me down, I was so mad at that point. Well lesson learned.

I can almost laugh about it now.

Last edited by xnine on Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply by Angelicamarie, on Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:56 pm

Xnine thanks I wanted to laugh when I heard the maintenance man say o s--t but I felt bad for him and I thank you for sharing when it happened it's horrible I guess one can laugh later. You made it through that day!!!!! Thanks again xnine have a good weekend!!!! Angelicamarie

Last edited by Angelicamarie on Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply by NJ Bain, on Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:10 am

All,

I'm really finding it disheartening that so many of my fellow ostomates are having to deal with leakage and explosions and accidents.  I don't know what luck I've walked into, but I've rarely and I mean REALLY rarely had an accident or leakage that you all are describing.  I'm concerned that some of our ostomates ET nurses or surgeons or something are not completely preparing some of you for such outcomes.

I think I've read more posts with ostomates having issues with 2 piece appliances that are having leakage and or accidents.  I may be biased since I use a one piece drainable.  It just sounds like so many of us are having issues that they shoud not have to be dealing with.  Please let me know on this forum if I can offer any advice or assistance.

Bain

Reply by Angelicamarie, on Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:59 am

Good morning Bain then you been very lucky, cause it do happen ,but is it the 2 pc or something else heck,I'm,starting to wonder. Angelica

Reply by HarleyDoll, on Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:13 pm
NJ Bain wrote:

All,

I'm really finding it disheartening that so many of my fellow ostomates are having to deal with leakage and explosions and accidents.  I don't know what luck I've walked into, but I've rarely and I mean REALLY rarely had an accident or leakage that you all are describing.  I'm concerned that some of our ostomates ET nurses or surgeons or something are not completely preparing some of you for such outcomes.

I think I've read more posts with ostomates having issues with 2 piece appliances that are having leakage and or accidents.  I may be biased since I use a one piece drainable.  It just sounds like so many of us are having issues that they shoud not have to be dealing with.  Please let me know on this forum if I can offer any advice or assistance.

Bain

I was having the same thoughts as you.  How are these accidents happening?  Like you, I use a one piece drainable, and after reading some of these posts there is no way I want a two piece.  Seems to me the more 'seams' there are, the more possible areas of leakage.  Keep it simple with a one piece and make sure your fit is good, that is key.

Reply by ycats, on Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:38 pm

you are soooo strong and have such a great support system in place!  Im sorry that happened to you.  Makes me feel that what I go through is nothing.  I hope your sunday was better.  im off to doc appts today....i have that "change" with meembarassed

Reply by Angelicamarie, on Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:52 pm

Thank you for replying to another horrific time, I don't think I'm strong ycats I'm just trying to make it. I want to live.  that's a good thing to do carry a change.have a great evening!!!!

Reply by LadyHope, on Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:09 pm

Hi Angelicamarie, Thank you very much for posting your story today of strengh, courage and hope.  Having a leak is so scary and you managed to get through it without skipping a beat.  It gives the rest of us (ostomates and friends of) the courage and strength to face these unpredictable challeges.  My friend from the support group has leaks often as her stoma is flush with her belly.  She has travelled the world and leaked everywhere.  Her stories helped me to be less serious and gave me the confidence to travel again.  I don't travel the world like she continues to do but I do get away every now and again.  I also have skin concerns once and awhile and it is frustrating because I do everything that the experts say.  Keep trying and moving forward, don't give up.  Lastly my friend says....S&%t happens and sometimes more and sometimes less depending on the day. Take care and thank you again Angelicamarie for your story of "grace under pressure."  We are not alone in our journey. Sincerely, LadyHope 

Reply by Angelicamarie, on Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:29 pm

Lady hope thanks for replying to a horrific time, I glad it helped you but it was really rough when it happened,and yes I was embarassed but I had to get out of them clothes . so I always have a change in the car cause you never know just have supplies in your purse. I have totes and I carry quite a bit wipes , soap toilet paper plastic bag. Wafer pouch ring . Take a chance and venture our a little more have a great one lady hope!!!! angelicamarie

Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:57 am

hi. Im Wendy and new to this site. Yep I've been there twice at work when it's happened to me. The first time I was in my uniform and it was just like you said running everywhere I was so humiliated my supervisor had to bring me a new uniform I had student nurses out of the conference table right next to the bathroom I was in I was just mortified. The second time wasn't so bad I caught it early , but I know exactly how you feel. Lucky for me I work in a hospital and when I explain to everybody what happened they're like oh don't worry about it we understand but I still was just mortified. I guess we just have to expect days like that and when it happens we just have to move on maybe one day we can all look back and laugh at it. Good luck to you.kiss

* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.