Surviving Zombies with Ostomy & Crohn's

Replies
Views
Noah_Hastings

Hey guys. My name's Noah.

I was watching The Walking Dead today and it got me thinking. How would someone like myself with an ostomy bag and Crohn's disease survive during a zombie apocalypse? Would we be utterly screwed, or would there be some kind of hope? What would your plan of action be?

Bill

Hello Noah.

It's an interesting question you pose and, as I have never seen the walking dead or a zombie apocalypse, I can only guess at what the scerario might be.

It makes me wonder what the world might look like from the Zombie's perspective as presumably there would be lots of them, otherwise it would not seem like an apocalypse.

I like to use cliches so, her is one that might fir the bill for this scenario:

" If you can't beat them ---join them!"

Best wishes

Bill

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,358 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

becrhomat

That's hilarious. I'm sure Rick would provide, although Negan would probably take things away. Go to the Hilltop...there's a doctor and Maggie would protect you!!!

kbd

I'd probably find a Hollister warehouse and raid it :) Then make sure I have firearms and ammo to keep the zombies off of me. We are survivors--we would be fine :)

Past Member

In a Crohn's flare-up, I used to tell people to allow me to die to save them because I will be useless and slow everyone down. Plus, pain meds will be so hard to come by, saving someone is the best I could hope for.

Now that I have my ostomy, I think I'll fare better than others because I don't even have to stop to poop! LOL. Although getting enough to drink may be harder! There is an ostomy supply store near my place, so I'll raid that and be okay for quite a while.

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
kbd

That's a good life-saving tip - not having to squat and poop lol! Zombies can't sneak up on you.

TomFTW

I have enough supplies to last over a year if something like that happened.

danieldore

Lmao! Accept your fate and just get eaten. I would just be like, well, as if having a damn bag was not hard enough, now I gotta deal with damn zombies! I'm done!

NJ Bain

A year of ostomy supplies would be great. Although there are reusable ostomy pouches.

Huge fan of WD by the way. I would think from watching the show, everyone would be smelling a little rank about now without a daily shower. I would be more worried about stomach skin acid burns being an ileostomate. But you can create makeshift pouches out of many things. Condoms come to mind. Not ideal but good in a fix.

On a serious note, the closest we might come to a zombie apocalypse would probably be a mutated version of rabies similar to the movie 28 Days Later. I'd be screwed. I have about a month of supplies at any given time. But I have a 12-gauge shotgun with a shitload of ammo.

YOU CAN HAVE MY OSTOMY SUPPLIES WHEN YOU PRY THEM FROM MY COLD DEAD STOMA!!

Bain

suzie2010

Lol!! It's funny because every time I watch TWD I think about the same exact scenario!!!! And I always tell myself that I'd probably be the first to go lmao. Glad I'm not the only one who thinks about what would happen if there were a zombie apocalypse.

Immarsh

Growing up female, with an ostomy, in the days before "Walking Dead" (Day the Earth Stood Still here, and the Invasion of the Body Snatchers), I thought my ostomy pouch would be my best defense... Get attacked, open the pouch, and aim. The smell alone could knock someone dead, and if not... they would just run... melting as they escaped. Those were my sci-fi scenarios... back in the day.

Marsha

southpawbass

Hilarious, y'all! Every time I look at my overabundance of wafers and think about donating some of them, I immediately think to myself, "But what if something catastrophic happens and my shipments stop coming?" Back to the closet they go..

mild_mannered_super_hero

Lol....everyone may not be familiar with that phrase, but I am. Good one, Bain.

NJ Bain

Hero,

Glad someone caught it. Thank you for recognizing.

Bain

ChrisP

But don't ostomy supplies have a 'best before' date? Stockpiling could lead to supplies running out of date, and in the long-term, who would still be making them? No, I can't get my head around improvising, so we'd better avoid all kinds of apocalypse (including Trumpocalypse) (other than The Apocalypse (c) of course)......

StillLooking

Hello all,

As a late comer to TWD fan base and new to this site, it is very refreshing hearing from others with the same concern: "Just how will I survive and prosper in a zombie apocalypse?" (or any other interruption of the normal source of supplies such as food, water, shelter, medicine, toiletries, and of course ostomy supplies.)

I think first and foremost would be to have a plan and be ready to implement it. You never know when the ZA will start!

Terry

bluejewel

This is funny. I have thought about some kind of crisis, not necessarily a zombie overrun and where would we get supplies. Like someone said above, we would be screwed.

BTW, my nephew was in an episode of TWD. On screen for a tiny bit, wasn't a zombie, or eaten by a zombie.

Xerxes
Well, some of the zombies would be screwed also as some would be ostomates.
becrhomat

I told my medical supplier's house...and she has lots of wine too.